Electronics engineer vs Electrical engineer?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's dilemma of choosing between electronics and computer science engineering for their college admission counseling. They also discuss the options of electronics and communication engineering, electronics and electrical engineering, and electronics and instrumentation engineering. The person expresses their interest in electronics and their plans to work at CERN as a computer or electrical engineer. The conversation also includes a comparison of the subjects studied in electrical engineering and electronics and communication engineering, and the recommendation to not choose computer science engineering.
judas_priest
My major interest is in electronics. I have my college admission counselling in two days, and I'm stuck with this dilemma of which branch to choose. I also have Computer Science engineering as an option. These vacations I took up C++ and it's going well.

Question 1
Can I do my masters in electronics if I take Computer Science engineering?

Question 2:
What do I opt for? Electronics and communication engineering or Electronics and Electrical engineering? I also have Electronics and instrumentation engineering as an option.
(A solid reason to why the course you suggest would help a lot.)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which college you are opting for and how are the opportunities... Generally, majority of the people who take electronics and communication end up in IT companies. So which country/state are you from? What is your rank? Which colleges are your options? Check the placement details in those colleges. See whether the E&C students are getting an electronics oriented job (If that's what you want to do)... Post here certain details I mentioned... I'll give you some more details then...

I'm from visakhapatnam. Getting into Gitam University. What ever course I opt for, I don't think I'll take the jobs they have to offer. I plan to master the field I opt for. Hopefully abroad. But that's talking way into future. My interest is in Electronics, as well as computers. Like I said, I have taken up C++ recently, and it's going really well

ShreyasR said:
It depends on which college you are opting for and how are the opportunities... Generally, majority of the people who take electronics and communication end up in IT companies. So which country/state are you from? What is your rank? Which colleges are your options? Check the placement details in those colleges. See whether the E&C students are getting an electronics oriented job (If that's what you want to do)... Post here certain details I mentioned... I'll give you some more details then...

I'd also like Electronics and Electrical engineering vs Electronics and Instrumentation engineering to be compared. Please help me out with what is what.
Any field I do, I'd like to go work for CERN as a Computer/software engineer or an electrical/electronics engineer. I know it sounds very immature and something that is not very easy, but that's what I aim at.

Computer Science Engineering is a branch where people crowd in like sheep. If you are planning to do masters immediately after you UG course, then I suggest to take ECE or EEE. These branches have more options available. You get to study many CS related stuff even if you take ECE... (Not too sure about EEE)... You can search for Post graduate course eligibility in various IITs, NITs, and foreign universities. There is a list of PG courses you can take up for different BE/Btech branches studied. There you get to know the differences between opportunities after ECE and EEE...

CSE is the easiest branch of engineering. Even after you do masters, you get only software oriented jobs... ECE and EEE are challenging. Some of the various fields of research/jobs are VLSI, embedded systems, automation, robotics, satellite communication, etc... So, you decide!

I am still doing first year BE. In first year of engineering, we have subjects called "Basic electronics" and "Basic Electrical engineering." This tells us the basic differences between them...
In Basic electronics, we have:
Diodes, transistors, basic circuits using diodes and transistors like digital logic gates, amplifiers, oscillators(AC frequency oscillators), operational amplifiers (an integrated circuit), Digital electronics, and other semiconductor devices, Communication: AM, FM, transmitting and receiving antennas.
In electrical engineering we have:
Basic laws like ohm's law, kirchhoffs laws, network (circuit) analysis, capacitors, inductors, transformers, three phase systems, DC machines (generator and motor), AC generators, Induction motors, measuring instruments, domestic wiring, etc.
So this is basically the contents...
Check out the E&C syllabus and EEE syllabus. Check what all subjects they have through the 4 years course. You will get an idea of what u will be studying in EC that you will be missing in EE, and what you'll be studying in EE and not in EC...

ShreyasR said:
I am still doing first year BE. In first year of engineering, we have subjects called "Basic electronics" and "Basic Electrical engineering." This tells us the basic differences between them...
In Basic electronics, we have:
Diodes, transistors, basic circuits using diodes and transistors like digital logic gates, amplifiers, oscillators(AC frequency oscillators), operational amplifiers (an integrated circuit), Digital electronics, and other semiconductor devices, Communication: AM, FM, transmitting and receiving antennas.
In electrical engineering we have:
Basic laws like ohm's law, kirchhoffs laws, network (circuit) analysis, capacitors, inductors, transformers, three phase systems, DC machines (generator and motor), AC generators, Induction motors, measuring instruments, domestic wiring, etc.
So this is basically the contents...
Check out the E&C syllabus and EEE syllabus. Check what all subjects they have through the 4 years course. You will get an idea of what u will be studying in EC that you will be missing in EE, and what you'll be studying in EE and not in EC...
Thanks a lot! You've convinced me to not take CSE. I too was weak on that option because I noticed EEE and ECE do have a lot in common with CSE. Anyways, can you tell me what I'll be missing out in EEE if I take ECE and what I'll be missing out in ECE if i take EEE? I'll check the syllabus too. It's always good to know from someone, so it'd be great if you could point out.

Thanks!

Which branch and college are you from?

I am studying ECE at PESIT (south campus) in bangalore... The sllabus may be quite different from here. In many universities abroad they offer "electrical engineering" and it will include Electrical, electronics and communication. Anyway the subjects might be similar i both our universities...

Subjects studied in EEE:
http://www.vtuplanet.com/download.p...&file=eescheme2010+(VTUPlanet.com)Schemes.pdf

Subjects studied in ECE:

http://www.vtuplanet.com/download.p...&file=ecscheme2010+(VTUPlanet.com)Schemes.pdf

Compare both of them... You will get to know what you are going to learn in both...

You will not be having Communication subjects like digital signal processing, digital communication, etc in EEE and you will not be having Subjects like DC and synchronous machines, transformers and induction machines etc... (though you will be studying these very briefly in first year!)

What about Electronics and Instrumentation engineering? Is it worth considering?

Not sure... I don't know about the subjects studied there and whether they match your interests... You can have it as an option after the ECE and EEE... Instrumentation deals with construction of voltmeters, ammeters, multimeters, wattmeters, oscilloscopes, and other instruments like that i guess...

Likes 1 person
ShreyasR said:
Not sure... I don't know about the subjects studied there and whether they match your interests... You can have it as an option after the ECE and EEE... Instrumentation deals with construction of voltmeters, ammeters, multimeters, wattmeters, oscilloscopes, and other instruments like that i guess...

I went ahead and took EIE. Could you please tell more about this course? Also, please recommend a few books on electronics. and Engineering Mathematics too.

1. What is the main difference between an electronics engineer and an electrical engineer?

An electronics engineer focuses on designing and developing electronic devices, while an electrical engineer focuses on the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power.

2. Can an electronics engineer also work as an electrical engineer?

Yes, an electronics engineer can also work as an electrical engineer, as they both have a strong understanding of circuitry and electrical systems. However, they may need additional training or experience in certain areas to fully transition into the other field.

3. Which field has better career prospects, electronics engineering or electrical engineering?

Both fields have strong career prospects, as they are essential in various industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and energy. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and strengths in order to determine which field may have better career prospects for them.

4. Are the skills required for electronics engineering and electrical engineering similar?

There are some overlapping skills between the two fields, such as knowledge of circuitry and problem-solving abilities. However, electronics engineering tends to focus more on digital electronics and computer systems, while electrical engineering deals with power systems and energy conversion.

5. What type of education is required to become an electronics engineer or electrical engineer?

Both fields typically require a bachelor's degree in engineering, with a focus on electronics or electrical engineering. Some positions may require a higher level of education, such as a master's degree or PhD, depending on the specific job requirements.