Electronics homework (capacitors and resistors)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the impedance of a circuit using equivalent circuit models. The person is having difficulty determining if the circuit can be simplified into parallel or series components. They are also unsure of where to find a missing equation to solve for the impedance. Suggestions are made to use Kirchhoff's equations and node voltage analysis to find a general formula for the equivalent impedance.
BOBAH

Homework Statement

What is the impedance of the circuit?
attachment.php?attachmentid=29325&d=1287789375.png

Homework Equations

Z=1/iwC ... Z = R ... etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

What kind of equivalent circuit can i replace it with ? I tried only two resistors and two capacitors first .. then upgrade it by two resistors and one capacitor (etc..), but can not figure out if this upgrade is parallel or in series?

Physics news on Phys.org

I tried to attach the picture...
attachment.php?attachmentid=29325&d=1287789375.png

Attachments

• electrodes.png
    electrodes.png
    462 bytes · Views: 341
It's not in parallel or series. You will have to go back and see how it is that parallel and series produce such easy zeqs, and then apply those zeq ideas to this zeq. This is almost the transmission line model, so if you get stuck you can maybe find a bit about this configuration from transmission ideas.

THank you for your suggestion, Mindscape.
what is "zeq" ? I googled and did not find this word.
Where shall I go back to see how parallel and series will produce smth similar??
I tried to apply Kirchhoff eqns, but i1+i2=i3 ... and V1+V2+V3+V4 = 0... so I have n unknown and n-1 equations... One equation is missing and I am not sure where shall I take it from?

Zeq would be equivalent impedance. I might have just made it up, but if it doesn't exist then it certainly should. Try using node voltage analysis on the first quadrant, and see if you can discover a general formula.

1. What is the purpose of using capacitors and resistors in electronic circuits?

Capacitors and resistors are used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity. Capacitors store electrical energy and release it when needed, while resistors limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance and resistance values for a circuit?

The capacitance and resistance values for a circuit can be calculated using the formulas C=Q/V and R=V/I, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, V is voltage, R is resistance, and I is current. These values can also be found on the components themselves or in circuit diagrams.

3. What is the difference between a polarized and non-polarized capacitor?

A polarized capacitor has a positive and negative terminal, while a non-polarized capacitor does not. This means that polarized capacitors must be connected in the correct direction, whereas non-polarized capacitors can be connected in either direction.

4. Can capacitors and resistors be connected in series or parallel?

Yes, capacitors and resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. When connected in series, their values add up, and when connected in parallel, their values decrease. This allows for more precise control over the flow of electricity in a circuit.

5. How do capacitors and resistors affect the frequency response of a circuit?

Capacitors and resistors can affect the frequency response of a circuit by acting as filters. Capacitors allow high frequencies to pass through more easily, while resistors allow low frequencies to pass through more easily. This can be used to shape the frequency response of a circuit to achieve a desired outcome.