Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons and simple/complex molecules.

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    Hello, I was just taking a shower when this question came upon my mind, what would happen if all the electrons stopped their motion?
    And, I don't know, but when molecules are created, wouldn't it cut off a path of an electron from the side where atoms have been combined?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2
    anyone?

10characters

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    your question is nonsensical because electrons don't cruise around atoms and molecules as planets orbit stars for example. that's probably why nobody answered your question.

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    maybe the answer he's looking for is this...

In neutron stars, their own gravity is so large that it overcomes the forces keeping protons/electrons apart and the electrons/protons combine to form neutrons. You end up with a big soup of neutrons...no electron clouds so theres almost no "empty" space....you end up with some of the most dense matter in the universe save from black holes.

6. May 5, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Does it really? Your spin isn't conserved. 1/2 +/- 1/2 does not equal to 1/2.

Zz.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?