Electroplating Cu on Cu sputtered Si Substrate (Lithography)

In summary, the individual has been attempting to plate Copper onto a Copper sputtered Electronic grade Silicon Substrate that has been patterned and developed using UV photolithography. Despite using a stock solution of CuSO4 and estimating the required plating time using Faraday's law of electrolysis, no deposits are formed after several hours. Attempts to solve the issue, such as coating the substrate with photoresist and ensuring proper connectivity and agitation, have not been successful. The individual has also tried using different deposition modes and adjusting the voltage and current, but still cannot determine the cause of the issue. They are seeking suggestions for a solution.
selseg
I have been trying to plate Copper on Copper sputtered Electronic grade Silicon Substrate which has been patterned and developed using UV photolithography. The patterns measure about 50-100microns in width and are about 1600microns long. I have tried plating 10micrometer thick Cu using a stock solution of CuSO4. Even several hours after my estimated plating time,no deposits are formed. I estimated the required plating time using Faradays law of electrolysis [t=mFZ/IM]. My last try was with a fixed voltage of 0.03V and the current steadily rose from 0.01mA up to approximately 0.025mA. However when I use large current, tens of mA approximately, flaky deposits form instantly (I want a smooth firm deposit). I have two deposition modes available, constant current and constant voltage. Both of which I can specify down to the nano range. I tried the following to solve the problem they all didnt work out.
1)Coat the sides of the Silicon substrate with photoresist to prevent any prefrential plating on the edges.
2) Ensured that there was connectivity between electrodes and clips.
3) Ensured that the circuit was closed when the substrate was immersed in the electrolyte.
4)Provided adequate agitation.
5)Checked the resistivity of the electrolyte to ensure that the chosen current, in the region of 20mA can flow through the solution at a selected voltage in accordance with Ohms law.
6)Calculated the required plating area and subsequently the current density.
7)I have diluted my electrolyte infinitely to plate at a higher voltage and lower current (didnt work out solution was still highly conductive).I still can't seem to figure out where I have gone wrong.Any suggestions please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
selseg said:
0.01mA up to approximately 0.025mA.
selseg said:
chosen current, in the region of 20mA can flow t
selseg said:
required plating area and subsequently the current density.
7)I have diluted my electrolyte infinitely to plate at a higher voltage and lower current (didnt work out solution was still highly conductive).
It isn't clear that you understand what you're doing; "diluted my electrolyte infinitely" means what?

1. What is the purpose of electroplating Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate?

The purpose of electroplating Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate is to create a layer of copper on top of a silicon substrate for use in microelectronic devices. This process helps to enhance electrical conductivity and improve the overall performance of the device.

2. What is the difference between electroplating and sputtering?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a conductive surface through the use of an electric current. Sputtering, on the other hand, is a physical vapor deposition technique where atoms from a target material are ejected and deposited onto a substrate. Electroplating is a more controlled and precise process, while sputtering is typically used for depositing larger amounts of material.

3. How does lithography play a role in the electroplating process?

Lithography is a crucial step in the electroplating process as it involves creating a pattern on the surface of the substrate using a photosensitive material. This pattern serves as a template for the electroplating process, allowing for precise and controlled deposition of the copper layer.

4. What are the benefits of using Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate for electroplating?

Using Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate for electroplating offers several benefits, such as improved electrical conductivity, better adhesion of the copper layer to the substrate, and overall improved performance of the device. Additionally, this process is cost-effective and can be easily scaled up for mass production.

5. What are some common applications of electroplating Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate?

Electroplating Cu on Cu sputtered Si substrate is commonly used in the production of microelectronic devices, such as integrated circuits, printed circuit boards, and microchips. This process is also used in the manufacturing of solar cells, MEMS devices, and other electronic components.