Electrostatic Equillibrium Question

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the common charge q carried by three Styrofoam balls suspended from a fixed point by nonconducting threads. The balls form an equilateral triangle at equilibrium and the length of the threads and the mass of the balls are given. The conversation includes a discussion on finding the angle between the vertical and the strings, which is needed to solve for q using the Coulomb's law equation. It is suggested to use geometry to find this angle by considering the triangle formed by the support, the balls, and the center of the equilateral triangle.
vg19
Hey,

Here is my question:
Three identical small Styrofoam balls (m = 2.05 g) are suspended from a fixed point by three nonconducting threads, each with a length of 45.5 cm and with negligible mass. At equilibrium the three balls form an equilateral triangle with sides of 28.4 cm. What is the common charge q carried by each ball?

This is what I have done.

I made my diagram 3d and did a FBD for 1 ball (Tension up and at an angle, mg going down, and Fe going to the left) As a result, solving for the Forces in the x-direction I had
Ftcos60 = Fe
and solving in the y direction
Ftsin60 = mg

I divided EFy by EFx to get rid of the tension force and then solved for Fe. I then put that into the coulomb law equation and made both q charges the same so it was q^2 and solved for q. I am not getting the right answer though. I think my assumption of the angles being 60 may be wrong. Can anybody help out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle that the strings make with the vertical is not 60 degrees (nor is it 30 degrees!).

You're going to have to do some geometry to figure out the angle but it is simplified by noting the triangle with vertices at each of the charges is equilateral and the triangles with the vertices at the support and pairs of points is isosceles. It may also help to note that the center of the equilateral triangles is located 1/3 of the way from the base to the opposite vertex.

I tried using the cosine law, and for the isosoleces triangle I am getting a top angle of 36.4degrees and the two bottom ones as 71.8degrees, but I am still not getting the right answer...Am I still doing something wrong?

What you are looking for is not the angle between a pair of strings but the angle between the vertical and a string.

So would I just divide the 36.4 by 2?

The easiest way to do the geometry is to first find the radius of a circle in which the equilateral triangle can be inscribed. Then you can find the angle the string makes with the vertical using the ratio of that radius to the length of the string.

1. What is electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is a state in which the electric charges in a system are balanced and there is no net movement of charge or electric current.

2. How is electrostatic equilibrium achieved?

Electrostatic equilibrium can be achieved by placing conductive objects in contact with each other, by grounding the objects, or by separating them to a sufficient distance.

3. What is the significance of electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges and fields. It allows us to predict the behavior of objects and systems under the influence of electric forces.

4. Can electrostatic equilibrium be maintained indefinitely?

In theory, electrostatic equilibrium can be maintained indefinitely as long as the conditions that created it are not disturbed. However, in reality, it can be difficult to maintain over long periods of time due to external factors such as the buildup of static electricity.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic equilibrium?

Some real-life applications of electrostatic equilibrium include the operation of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors, and the functioning of lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes.