Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic FieldSchey's Notation

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Hey there,

I am just seeking some clarification wrt the notation that I have come across for the Electrostatic Field:

[tex]\mathvf{E}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\int\int_V\frac{\rho(\mathbf{r'})\hat{\mathbf{u}}(\mathbf{r'})}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^2}\,dV'[/tex]

So are all of the 'primes' just saying that the [itex]\rho,\hat{u}, dV[/itex] are simply those that correspond to the same location?

It seems like it is just a 'shorthand' notation to avoid a bunch of subscripts.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

physicsworks

Gold Member

All the "primes" are correspond to the source [tex]dq[/tex] of your (continuous) charge distribution, when [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] corresponds to the filed point, i.e. the point, where you want to find [tex]\mathbf{E}[/tex].
    [tex]|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|[/tex] is simply the distance between the source [tex]dq[/tex] and the field point [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook