1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic FieldSchey's Notation

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Hey there,

I am just seeking some clarification wrt the notation that I have come across for the Electrostatic Field:

[tex]\mathvf{E}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\int\int_V\frac{\rho(\mathbf{r'})\hat{\mathbf{u}}(\mathbf{r'})}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^2}\,dV'[/tex]

So are all of the 'primes' just saying that the [itex]\rho,\hat{u}, dV[/itex] are simply those that correspond to the same location?

It seems like it is just a 'shorthand' notation to avoid a bunch of subscripts.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

physicsworks

Gold Member

All the "primes" are correspond to the source [tex]dq[/tex] of your (continuous) charge distribution, when [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] corresponds to the filed point, i.e. the point, where you want to find [tex]\mathbf{E}[/tex].
    [tex]|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|[/tex] is simply the distance between the source [tex]dq[/tex] and the field point [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook