Electrostatic force problems, help

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the electric field inside and 60 cm from the center of an isolated hollow metal sphere with a radius of 40 cm and a charge of -10*10^-6. The correct use of Coulomb's law to solve this problem is unclear, as it is unknown if there is an electric field within a hollow sphere and if the distance should be measured from the surface or the center. The provided solution of E=0 for the inside field and E=32364 N/C for the field 60 cm from the center may be incorrect.
StudentPhys
Electrostatic force problems, help urgent!

Homework Statement

Question: An isolated hollow metal sphere of radius 40 cm carries a charge of -10*10^-6.
What is the magnitude of the electric field E (a) in the empty space inside the sphere and (b) 60 cm from the center of the sphere ( no picture provided )

Homework Equations

Electrostatic force= K * q1*q2/ d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I´ve tried to use Coloumb´s law to get to the correct answer , what I am having trouble to realize is 1. is there even an electric field within a hollow sphere,? and 2. do you count the distance in problem B from the surface of the sphere or from the center? I tried the center , and i got the wrong answer, don´t know if that is the problem. HELP URGENT , test coming up! :O :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi StudentPhys! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi StudentPhys! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

My calculations are as follows:
I went on the assumption, having read it somewhere, that the electric field within a metallic sphere have 0 magnitude. and wrote E=0
and secondly 2) E= (9*10^9)(-10*10^-6)/ (0,6^2)= 32364 N/C

Though the key says these answers are incorrect , is this so or is the key wrong?

1. What is electrostatic force and how does it work?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of positive and negative charges, and it follows the inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases as the distance between the charged particles increases.

2. How do I solve electrostatic force problems?

To solve electrostatic force problems, you can use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. You can also use vector addition to determine the direction of the force.

3. What is the SI unit for electrostatic force?

The SI unit for electrostatic force is Newton (N), which is the same unit used for other types of force, such as gravitational force. However, in some cases, the unit of charge (Coulomb) may also be included in the unit, such as Newton-meter squared per Coulomb squared (N⋅m²/C²).

4. Can electrostatic force be shielded or canceled?

Yes, electrostatic force can be shielded or canceled by using materials that conduct electricity, such as metals. This is because the charges on the surface of the conducting material will rearrange themselves to neutralize the external electric field. Additionally, opposite charges can cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has many real-life applications, such as in electronic devices, where it is used to generate and control electric currents. It is also used in air filters to attract and capture dust particles, and in printers to transfer toner onto paper. Other applications include electrostatic painting, electrostatic motors, and electrostatic precipitators used in power plants to remove air pollutants.