Electrostatic Forces and Coulombs Law Question

In summary, two small, positively charged spheres with a combined charge of 5.4 x 10-5 C are 2.2 m apart and repelled from each other by an electrostatic force of 1.04 N. Using Coulomb's equation and the fact that force is equal to the charge multiplied by the electric field, the charge on the sphere with the smaller charge was calculated to be 1.03687x10^-5 C. The equation was then rearranged to solve for the unknown charge using the quadratic formula.
KMjuniormint5

Homework Statement

Two small, positively charged spheres have a combined charge of 5.4 x 10-5 C. If each sphere is repelled from the other by an electrostatic force of 1.04 N when the spheres are 2.2 m apart, what is the charge on sphere with the smaller charge?

Homework Equations

Coulombs equation = k(q1)(q2)/(r^2)=E
Force=(q)(E)

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in what I knew I got E=1.00301x10^-5, took that and plugged it in the force equation . . .1.04=q(1.00301x10^-5) and found q to be 1.03687x10^-5 since Q+q=5.4 x 10-5 and we know now q . . .I just found Q to be 4.36313x10^-5 . . .so doesn't that make 1.03687x10^-5 the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have for E is actually force. I don't understand how you could calculate E anyway since you don't know what the charges are. You just have to use the fact that you know the sum of the charges and rewrite it to get an equation for one charge in terms of the other. Sub that into the force equation and solve.

ok I have done that as well where x+y=5.4 x 10-5 solved for say y and and plugged in:

1.04=[(k*x*((5.4 x 10-5)-x))]/(2.2^2) and I ended up with the quad. eq:

0=(-5.5991x10^-10)+(5.4x10^-5)x-x^2 . . then I used the quad equation to solve for x to be -8.9901x10^-5 or -1.8099x10^-5 . . .am I on the right track?

Yes you're on the right lines, but try and rearrange the quadratic so that the q^2 term has no constants in front of it and apply the quadratic formula.

1. What are electrostatic forces?

Electrostatic forces are the forces of attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. They are caused by the interaction of electric fields generated by these charged particles.

2. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the magnitude of electrostatic forces between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is Coulomb's law mathematically expressed?

Coulomb's law is mathematically expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between them.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric charge?

The unit of measurement for electric charge is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.241 x 10^18 protons.

5. How does distance affect electrostatic forces?

The strength of electrostatic forces decreases as the distance between charged particles increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, according to Coulomb's law.