1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrostatic potential energy in a circuit with and without a battery

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    I have two plate capacitors serially connected in a circuit with a battey and a switch between the battery and one of the plate capacitors.

I have two situaions:

a) I charge the capacitors, cut the switch, and double the internal distance in one of the capacitors.
    b) I charge the capacitors, keep the switch and double the internal distance in one of the capacitors.

What is the change of electrostatic potential energy in the two situations?

(This is not the actual exercise I have to solve, just a part of what I need to figure out before going on.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll need to use an equation for the energy in a capacitor ... then think about how it would apply in each case. Please look in your textbook or lecture notes for the equation**, and post back with your thoughts.

**Actually, there are 3 equations for capacitor energy. So part of doing this problem is figuring out which equation best applies in each situation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook