1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrostatic Potential Energy of a Conducting Sphere

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the total electrostatic potential energy of a conducting sphere of radius r_0 that carries a total charge Q distributed uniformly on its surface. Give your answer in terms of Q, r_0, epsilon_0 and appropriate constants.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that U = QV and I know that V = kQ/r. I tried to answer it as U = (1/(4pi*epsilon_0))*Q^2/r_0 but that seems to be incorrect. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The electrostatic potential energy of the sphere is equal to the work done while it is charged.
    If there is q charge on the sphere, the potential is kq/r0 on it surface. The work needed to move a charge dq from infinity to the surface of the sphere is:

[tex]

dW=kq*dq/r_0 [/tex]

To get the whole work, you have to integrate from q=0 to q=Q.

ehild

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    So if you integrate dW = kq *dq/r you end up getting W = k/r * the integral of q *dq from 0 to Q. Which just ends up being W = kQ^2/2r right?

5. Feb 21, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

Yes, but with r0, the radius of the sphere.

ehild

6. Sep 27, 2010 #5
    i have a question similar to this. I was wondering if the question was rephrased to say that the sphere has a charge density, p, instead of a charge q how you would answer it?

Would simply become a Q/(volume of sphere) instead of q in your integral equation with everything else remaining the same?

Ps. sorry if this is not the correct format to ask a question (im new on the forum). If you guys want me to make a new thread please let me know thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook