Electrostatic potential problem (got 1/3) correct

In summary, this online homework assignment asks you to find the potential energy of a system of charges, but it does not specify which charges are positive and which are negative. To find the potential energy of a system of charges, you need to first specify which charges are positive and which are negative, and then use the laws of physics to calculate the potential energy.
hitman0097
Point charges q1, q2, and q3 are fixed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 2.50 m long. Find the electrostatic potential energy of this system of charges for the following charge values.
a.)q1=q2=q3=3.90uC
I got the right answer for this one 164mJ

b.)q1=q2=3.90uC,q3=-3.90uC
I used [tex]\Delta[/tex]V=k[(3.90uC^2/2.5m)-3.90uC/2.5]=14080 (or something like that)
then V=q(sum of the charges) which is just 3.90uC * [tex]\Delta[/tex]V
ans I got was 54.7mJ

c.)q1=q2=-3.90uC, q3=3.90uC
Same method as above.. same answer too.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hitman0097, welcome to PF.
Your answers appear to be correct.

hmmm, I got the correct magnitude but the wrong sign? This is a online homework thing. But I don't know how you can minus energy as a answer. Like I know it's the change in energy and you can lose and gain it. But it can't ever be less then zero right?

hitman0097 said:
hmmm, I got the correct magnitude but the wrong sign? This is a online homework thing. But I don't know how you can minus energy as a answer. Like I know it's the change in energy and you can lose and gain it. But it can't ever be less then zero right?
In (c) there are two negative charges and one positive charge, So the net potential energy is negative. If you want to keep two positive charges at a certain distance, you have to push them towards each other.
If you want to keep one positive charges and one negative charge at a certain distance, you have to pull them apart from each other. First one you call it as positive PE and second one you call it as negative PE.

What is an electrostatic potential problem?

An electrostatic potential problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

What is the significance of getting 1/3 correct in an electrostatic potential problem?

Getting 1/3 correct in an electrostatic potential problem means that you have solved one-third of the problem correctly. This could mean that you have correctly calculated the potential energy for one of the three charged particles involved in the problem.

How do you solve an electrostatic potential problem?

To solve an electrostatic potential problem, you will need to use the formula for calculating potential energy, which is PE = qV, where q is the charge of the particle and V is the electric potential. You will also need to use the principles of superposition to account for the effects of multiple charged particles.

What factors affect the electrostatic potential in a problem?

The electrostatic potential in a problem is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between them, and the medium between them (such as air or a dielectric material). The direction of the electric field and the position of the particles also play a role.

Why are electrostatic potential problems important?

Electrostatic potential problems are important because they help us understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, which is essential in many areas of science and technology, such as electronics, electromagnetics, and electrochemistry.