1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic potential problem (got 1/3) correct

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    Point charges q1, q2, and q3 are fixed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are 2.50 m long. Find the electrostatic potential energy of this system of charges for the following charge values.
    a.)q1=q2=q3=3.90uC
    I got the right answer for this one 164mJ

b.)q1=q2=3.90uC,q3=-3.90uC
    I used [tex]\Delta[/tex]V=k[(3.90uC^2/2.5m)-3.90uC/2.5]=14080 (or something like that)
    then V=q(sum of the charges) which is just 3.90uC * [tex]\Delta[/tex]V
    ans I got was 54.7mJ

c.)q1=q2=-3.90uC, q3=3.90uC
    Same method as above.. same answer too.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi hitman0097, welcome to PF.
    Your answers appear to be correct.

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    hmmm, I got the correct magnitude but the wrong sign? This is a online hw thing. But I don't know how you can minus energy as a answer. Like I know it's the change in energy and you can lose and gain it. But it can't ever be less then zero right?

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In (c) there are two negative charges and one positive charge, So the net potential energy is negative. If you want to keep two positive charges at a certain distance, you have to push them towards each other.
    If you want to keep one positive charges and one negative charge at a certain distance, you have to pull them apart from each other. First one you call it as positive PE and second one you call it as negative PE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook