1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Self-Energy of a uniform charged sphere

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I have to calculate the self-energy of an uniform charged electron with radius R. The distributed charge is e.

2. Relevant equations
    The SE is given as:
    [itex] E=\frac{1}{2}\int dV \int dV' \frac {\rho(\vec r)\rho(\vec r')}{ |\vec r - \vec r'|}[/itex]
    according to the problem sheet.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it's uniformly charged I guess [itex] \rho(\vec r)=\rho(\vec r')=\frac{e}{(4/3)\pi R^3}[/itex]

And from here I'm stuck, I tried to evaluate the (ugly) integral: [itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{R} \int_{0}^{R} \frac{e^2r'^2r^2sin(\theta')sin(\theta)}{2[(4/3)\pi R^3]^2\sqrt{(r-r')^2+(\theta-\theta')^2+(\phi-\phi')^2}} \, drdr'd\theta d\theta' d\phi d\phi' [/itex] (In spherical coordinates.)

But maple just crashed when I put it in.
    What am I doing wrong? Did I misunderstand the meaning of the prime? (Can I set [itex]\vec r' = \vec 0 [/itex]?)

Any hints are very appreciated.
    Kind regards Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

It looks like you are approaching this problem in a very difficult, brute force way. Suppose you have a uniformly charge sphere of radius ##r##. What is the energy required to add a thin, uniformly charge spherical shell of thickness ##dr## to it? See if you can use the answer to this question to help solve your problem.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    I think the work to add the shell is given by:
    [itex]W=\frac{1}{2} \int \rho(\vec r)\phi(\vec r)dr [/itex]
    The potential [itex]\phi(\vec r)[/itex] is caused by the sphere with radius [itex]r[/itex]. I think it can be viewed as a point charge potential, when seen from the outside. [itex](>r)[/itex]
    Then I would add up these shells ([itex]dr [/itex]) until I reach R.
    Am I correct so far or am I confusing myself?

5. Nov 14, 2014 #4

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

I think that you have the right idea, but this formula is wrong. You should be able to see that the units are wrong. Recall that ##dq=\rho dV## where ##dV## is a differential volume element. So you need to find ##dV## for a thin spherical shell.

6. Nov 14, 2014 #5
    That means r is constant:
    [itex]dV=r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/itex]
    If it's right I put it in W and integrate w from 0 to R over r?

7. Nov 14, 2014 #6

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

That's right. Remember to integrate over ##\theta## and ##\phi## as well.

8. Nov 14, 2014 #7
    Thanks a lot for the help. Will evaluate the integral tomorrow and post the result, it's getting late :) NN

9. Nov 15, 2014 #8
    Good morning, I'm stuck again :)
    The work to add the spherical shell with radius [itex] dr [/itex] to the sphere with radius [itex] r [/itex]:
    [itex]W=\frac{1}{2}\int\rho(\vec r)\phi(\vec r)r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/itex]

Since it's uniformly charged: [itex]\rho(\vec r)=\frac{e}{(4/3)\pi r^3}[/itex]
    And the potential is: [itex]\phi(\vec r)=\frac{e}{r}[/itex]
    (I'm not sure about the charge, because we would end up with more than e charge on the sphere when we add all the shells to the sphere with radius [itex] r [/itex]?)

The work is then: [itex]W=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{e}{(4/3)\pi r^3}\frac{e}{r}r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi=\frac{3e^2}{2r^2}[/itex]

Then I wanted to integrate through all the thin shells from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex] but [itex]\int_{0}^{R} \frac{3e^2}{2r^2} dr [/itex] is division by zero. Are the limits of the integral wrong?

10. Nov 15, 2014 #9

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Both of these are incorrect. If the sphere is uniformly charged, then ##\rho## is constant, i.e. independent of ##r## right? The potential is ##
    \phi(\vec r)=\frac{q(r)}{r}## where ##q(r)## is the charge of a uniformly charged sphere of radius ##r##. ##q(r) \neq e##!

11. Nov 15, 2014 #10
    Correct: ##\rho(\vec r)=\frac{e}{(4/3)\pi R^3}## , R as radius. And ##\phi(\vec r)=\frac{Q}{R} (\frac{3}{2}-\frac{r^2}{2R^2})##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted