Electrostatics: calculating the E-field of a line charge

In summary, you would take the integral over the length of the wire, and then separately integrate the r and z components.
Jayalk97
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hey guys, could anyone tell me if set up this integral correctly? Thanks in advanced!
1518636227090.jpg

Attachments

• 1518636227090.jpg
    1518636227090.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 805
Physics news on Phys.org
Jayalk97 said:
Hey guys, could anyone tell me if set up this integral correctly? Thanks in advanced!
No, it is not set up correctly. You should not have a double integral. The element of charge at position z is dq = (q/L)dz. Parameter r is the constant distance to the wire from the point where you want to know the field. You do not integrate over r because you want the field as a function of r.

On Edit: What is the z-component of the position vector of the point of observation P? That should also be made part of the integrand unless you want to calculate the field at the perpendicular bisector, but your drawing does not show that.

kuruman said:
No, it is not set up correctly. You should not have a double integral. The element of charge at position z is dq = λdz. Parameter r is the constant distance to the wire from the point where you want to know the field. You do not integrate over r.
Yeah I noticed shortly after posting this that I didn't even have the correct amount of integrals for the differentials. Wouldn't that just make the integral (on mobile so I apologize for bad formatting):

1/(4piEr^2)* int(charge density*dz)
over the length of the line?

Don't I have to account for the angle each section of the charge is compared to the selected point?

Jayalk97 said:
Don't I have to account for the angle each section of the charge is compared to the selected point?
You do, but first please clarify where point of observation P is, i.e. provide its coordinates.

kuruman said:
You do, but first please clarify where point of observation P is, i.e. provide its coordinates.
It's an arbitrary point in cylindrical coordinates.

Then its coordinates can be taken as {r, 0, z}. Note that I set θ = 0 because the problem has cylindrical symmetry and the answer should be independent of the azimuthal angle. Also note that you are looking for the field at distance r from the wire on a circle whose plane is parallel to the xy plane at distance z. In other words, you want to end up with ##\vec E = E_r(r,z) \hat r +E_z(r,z) \hat z##. You have two components to calculate each of which is a function of ##r## and ##z##. This means that you have to do two separate integrals, one for each component, not one double integral. Superposition demands that you add all contributions in the r-direction separately from the contributions in the z-direction. So you have to consider element of charge ##dq = (q/L)dz'## on the wire, find its separate contributions in the r and z directions at P and then add these over the length of the wire. Note my use of variable ##z'## which stands for the position of ##dq## along the wire. It is not to be confused with ##z## which is the z-coordinate of P.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Then its coordinates can be taken as {r, 0, z}. Note that I set θ = 0 because the problem has cylindrical symmetry and the answer should be independent of the azimuthal angle. Also note that you are looking for the field at distance r from the wire on a circle whose plane is parallel to the xy plane at distance z. In other words, you want to end up with ##\vec E = E_r(r,z) \hat r +E_z(r,z) \hat z##. You have two components to calculate each of which is a function of ##r## and ##z##. This means that you have to do two separate integrals, one for each component, not one double integral. Superposition demands that you add all contributions in the r-direction separately from the contributions in the z-direction. So you have to consider element of charge ##dq = (q/L)dz'## on the wire, find its separate contributions in the r and z directions at P and then add these over the length of the wire. Note my use of variable ##z'## which stands for the position of ##dq## along the wire. It is not to be confused with ##z## which is the z-coordinate of P.
My current rendition of the solution looks something like this(going to try my hand at the correct formatting, if this looks gross I'll edit):

[itex]E = 1/(4piε) * \int l_l/(r^2 +z^2) \, dz' [/itex]

So from what I gather I;m going to do the integral twice, but with each one modified to isolate the r and z components.
Sorry it took so long to respond, I was in class. So I think I understand what I have to do, but I'm having trouble with how exactly I'd separate the forces. I'd assume I'd take the cosine and sine of the angles for the z and r components respectively right? How could I get the angle as a function of r and z?

Jayalk97 said:
m what I gather I;m going to do the integral twice, but with each one modified to isolate the r and z components.
You still don't understand the reasoning behind what you are supposed to do. A picture is worth a thousand words. Let me draw one and I'll get back to you shortly.
Jayalk97 said:
How could I get the angle as a function of r and z?
Do you know what SOH-CAH-TOA means?

kuruman said:
You still don't understand the reasoning behind what you are supposed to do. A picture is worth a thousand words. Let me draw one and I'll get back to you shortly.

Do you know what SOH-CAH-TOA means?
Yes, I guess I should preface this by saying I'm currently doing this for my electromagnetics class as a third year engineering major, so I do have plenty of experience with vector calculus. That being said I probably worded my previous question poorly haha.

In other words, in order to find the separate r and z component contributions in the line charge, I need to multiply the integrand by sine of the r component, and in a separate integral, cosine for the z component, then add them afterwards correct?

Jayalk97 said:
In other words, in order to find the separate r and z component contributions in the line charge, I need to multiply the integrated by sine of the r component, and in a separate integral, cosine for the z component, correct?
Correct. I think you understand what to do, but show me the two integrals just to make sure you are on the right track. A new drawing defining the quantities will also be helpful in checking your work.

kuruman said:
Correct. I think you understand what to do, but show me the two integrals just to make sure you are on the right track. A new drawing defining the quantities will also be helpful in checking your work.
Here. Would this be the correct integral?
1518653265978.jpg

Attachments

• 1518653265978.jpg
    1518653265978.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 359
Jayalk97 said:
Here. Would this be the correct integral?
No. I thought you understood but you did not. Let me make that drawing that I had in mind.

kuruman said:
No. I thought you understood but you did not. Let me make that drawing that I had in mind.
Alright cool, thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it.

Here is the promised picture. Point P is at coordinates {##r##,##0##,##z##} with respect to origin O.
LineOfCharge.png

You have element ##dq =(q/L)dz'## on the line at distance ##z'## from the origin. It contributes element ##d\vec E## to the field at P. The distance of ##dq## from P is ##s##. Your task is to
1. Find the magnitude of ##d\vec E##.
2. Find expressions for the components ##dE_r## and ##dE_z## of ##d\vec E##. Express all distances and trig functions in terms of ##z##, ##z'##, ##r## and ##L##.
3. Integrate ##dE_r## and ##dE_z## over the length of the rod.

Attachments

• LineOfCharge.png
    LineOfCharge.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 358

1. What is electrostatics and how does it relate to calculating the E-field of a line charge?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. Calculating the E-field of a line charge is a fundamental concept in electrostatics, as it helps us understand the distribution of electric charges and their effects on the surrounding environment.

2. What is a line charge and how is it different from a point charge?

A line charge is a distribution of electric charge along a one-dimensional line. It is different from a point charge, which is a single charge concentrated at a single point in space. A line charge has a continuous distribution of charge, while a point charge has a single discrete value.

3. How do you calculate the E-field of a line charge?

The E-field of a line charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By integrating the electric field contributions from each point along the line charge, we can determine the overall E-field at a given point.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating the E-field of a line charge?

Understanding the E-field of a line charge is crucial in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing the behavior of electric motors and generators, and predicting the behavior of lightning strikes. It is also used in the field of medical imaging, where electric fields are used to produce images of internal body structures.

5. What factors can affect the E-field of a line charge?

The E-field of a line charge can be affected by various factors, such as the magnitude and distribution of the charge, the distance from the line charge, and the presence of other nearby charges. It can also be influenced by the medium through which the E-field is passing, as different materials have different electrical properties that can alter the strength and direction of the E-field.