1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics - Finding potential V(r,z) given hyperbolic boundry conditions.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to derive Equation (1) from the paper: http://idv.sinica.edu.tw/jwang/EP101/Paul-Trap/Winter 91 ajp demo trapping dust.pdf

We are working with a cylindrically symmetric geometry along the z-axis.
    [itex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/itex]

We have electrodes described by the hyperbolas:
    [itex]z^2 = z_0^2 + r^2/2[/itex]
    [itex]z^2 = r^2/2 - z_0^2[/itex]

The top and bottom electrode (described by [itex]z^2 = z_0^2 + r^2/2[/itex]) are held at a potential [itex]V_0[/itex] with respect to our ground ring (described by [itex]z^2 = r^2/2 - z_0^2[/itex]) held at potential [itex]0.[/itex]

We want to find the potential V(r,z) for the region inside the hyperbolas (the region containing the origin).

The solution is:
    [itex]V(z,r) = V_0(\frac{1}{4z_0^2})(2z^2+r_0^2-r^2)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\nabla^2 V = 0[/itex]
    (no charge inside volume)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, for boundary conditions we have:
    [itex]V(z,r)=V_0[/itex] when [itex]z^2 = z_0^2 + r^2/2[/itex]
    [itex]V(z,r)=0[/itex] when [itex]z^2 = r^2/2 - z_0^2[/itex]

I can't think of any appropriate image that would generate hyperbolic potentials, and following Jackson's section on boundary value problems (physics.bu.edu/~pankajm/LN/hankel.pdf) seems to be giving unnecessarily complex solutions, even though the final solution is quite simple.

At this point I'm at a loss. Is there a better way to approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2
    I found a solution, in case anyone is curious:

The symmetry of the problem allows us to assert that we only will have even terms in our potential. So we have something of the form:

[itex]V= const + \displaystyle\sum_{\text{even }i}{a_ir^2+b_iz^2} [/itex]

Hoping that the lowest order term is dominant, we see what happens if we drop the other terms:

[itex]V=a r^2 + b z^2 = a(x^2+y^2) + b z^2 + const [/itex]

And take the laplacian:

[itex]\nabla^2 V= 0 = 2a + 2a + 2 b [/itex]
    so
    [itex]2a=-b[/itex]

Substituting back in to our equation for V, we get:

[itex]V=a r^2 - 2a z^2 + const = a(r^2-2z^2) + const [/itex]

Now, its just a matter of relating our constants ([itex]V_0, z_0[/itex]) for a specific equipotential and we're set!

So, the actual method to generate the potential is starting from a saddle shaped potential (which allows for the trapping of particles; thus the motivation), and then figuring out what electrodes need to be to generate it... which is much easier than starting with the shape of the electrodes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook