Electrostatics Problem (Calculating Electric Field)

In summary, the conversation was about a problem in physics homework involving a charge fixed above a grounded conducting floor. The solution involved finding the electric field at the floor, the surface charge density induced on the floor, and the total surface charge induced on the floor. The symbols used in the solution were explained and it was pointed out that the total surface charge induced should be -Q, which can be understood by the fact that the surface charge is induced by the upper charge and has an opposite sign. The boundary condition for the electric field and the uniqueness theorem for Laplace's equation were also mentioned.
clear_out
Hi all,

I have this problem in my physics homework, which is not trivial. This is not a graded homework fortunately but I would like to see the solution for it and learn. I have attached my attempt at solving this problem. Not sure if this is the right way to solve it, and so I would like your personal input in this one.

===============================================
Problem:

If a charge is fixed above a large, flat, grounded, conducting floor, the electric field above the floor would be the same as that produced by the original charge plus a "mirror image" charge, equal in magnitude and opposite in sign, as far below the floor as the original charge is above it. The effect of this "image charge" is produced by the surface charge distribution induced on the floor by the presence of the original.

a. Find the electric field at (just above) the floor, as a function of horizontal distance p from the point on the floor directly under the original charge. Take the original charge to be a point +Q, a distance a above the floor. Ignore any effects of "walls" or "ceiling."

b. Find the surface charge density sigma(p) induced on the floor.

c. Calculate the total surface charge induced on the floor. HINT: Divide the floor into concentric rings, centered on the point directly under the original charge. Assume the floor extends "to infinity," i.e., very far.

=============================================
Solution:
Net field = 2ESinθ
Where E=electric field due to each charge
E=k*q/(a^2 + p^2)
Sinθ=a/(a^2 + p^2)^(1/2)

Total Electric field is given by:
E1 = k*q/(a^2 + p^2) *a/(a^2 + p^2)^(1/2)
=2Kqa/(a^2 + p^2)^(3/2)

As no field is there on the floor,
Therefore, field due to floor = E1
E1= σ / 2ε (σ = surface charge density)
σ =2ε (E1)
=2ε 2qaK/(a^2 + p^2)^(3/2)
= qa/Π(a^2 + p^2)^(3/2)

Now, to calculate total charge, divide the whole floor into concentric rings centered at point just below the charge.

Then the total
Q=∫σ ds
=∫ qa2 Π pdp/ Π(a^2 + p^2)^(3/2)
=2aq ∫ p dp/ (a^2 + p^2)^(3/2)
On integrating it we get,
Q=2q
====================================================

Thank you for passing by :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The total surface charge induced on the floor has to be -Q. Can you see why?

For the first part, can you elaborate on what your symbols mean? For example, what's "p"?

The total surface charge induced on the floor has to be -Q. Can you see why?
Is it because the surface charge is induced by the upper charge and thus has the same amount of charge as the upper one, but has an opposite sign ?

For the first part, can you elaborate on what your symbols mean? For example, what's "p"?
p is a parameter that defines the horizontal distance (in meters), from right under the upper charge.

This diagram may help clarify some things:

+Q
. p
. _________|___________
. | |
====================================== <- Floor
-Q <== "Mirror image charge" (virtual)

Ok, I understand your symbols now.

E1= σ / 2ε (σ = surface charge density)

I think that is where you are wrong.
The boundary condition on [itex] \vec E [/itex] is

[tex]E_{above} - E_{below} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} \hat{n} [/tex]

Since the field inside the conductor is zero, this means that the field just outside is
[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} \hat{n} [/tex]

Also, you might want to check out the uniqueness theorem for Laplace's equation. It's very interesting and explains how you get the correct field for the charge and grounded plane even though you solve a completely different problem.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. The formula is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

2. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. Can the electric field at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force exerted on a positive test charge at that point.

4. How do you calculate the electric field due to multiple point charges?

The electric field due to multiple point charges is calculated by vector addition. First, calculate the electric field at a point due to each individual charge using the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point. Then, add all the individual electric fields vectorially to get the total electric field at that point.

5. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a point, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a point. Electric potential is related to electric field by the equation V = W/q, where V is the potential, W is the work done, and q is the test charge. Electric potential is also known as voltage.