Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint by Moise

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint" by Edwin Moise and the speaker's personal experience with it. The book is based on the Birkhoff approach to geometry and is considered oppressively rigorous and not pedagogical. It is recommended for those interested in seeing how geometry can be derived from real numbers, but the speaker prefers Hartshorne's book. The book is well-written and has high mathematical standards, but may not be enjoyable for all readers.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Lightly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I no longer have this book having unwisely given it away when I moved out of my office. However I only gave away books I did not enjoy or felt little further need for. So I am guessing this is a book based on the Birkhoff approach to geometry, presuming familiarity with real numbers first, not the way I think geometry should be done.

I also seem to remember that the book is oppressively rigorous, in a non pedagogical way, over concerned with the sort of rigid precision dear to a mathematician but not so much to a student hoping to learn to understand something. So I recall this as a precise highly expert account that somehow removed much of the beauty of my favorite subject. There are several rave reviews on amazon for this book though, and it certainly has mathematical virtues. I still recommend Hartshorne's book above all others, including this one.

But if you want to see how elementary geometry can be derived rigorously from more sophisticated notions, namely the real number system, then this may be for you. At least the title is accurate in that sense.

However, Hilbert's approach espoused by Hartshorne, is much more general and reveals infinitely more Euclidean geometries that are related to this one as the infinitely many other Euclidean fields are related to the special case of the real numbers. I.e. there is no good geometrical reason to prefer the real numbers for geometry. The field theoretic properties that are needed however are only made clear by taking a more geometric approach first.

Still I wish I had not given it away, since it is a rigorous and expert treatment, just not one I enjoy. I hope I am not greatly in error about this book, but there is way to search it on amazon. This is a fine book, well written with high mathematical standards, as is Rudin, but it's also not my style.

1. What is the main focus of "Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint" by Moise?

The main focus of this book is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of geometry from a more rigorous and advanced perspective.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in geometry?

While this book is aimed at students with a strong mathematical background, it can still be used by beginners as long as they are willing to put in the effort to understand the more advanced concepts.

3. What sets this book apart from other geometry textbooks?

This book differs from other geometry textbooks by its rigorous approach and emphasis on proof-based learning. It also covers more advanced topics such as transformations, congruence, and similarity.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

It is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra and basic geometry before using this book. A solid understanding of mathematical proofs is also helpful but not required.

5. How can this book be used in a classroom setting?

This book can be used as a supplement to a geometry course or as a standalone textbook. It is also suitable for self-study and can be used by students who want to deepen their understanding of geometry. The exercises at the end of each chapter make it ideal for classroom use.