1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Group Theory, p-group automorphism.

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I am self-studying elementary abstract algebra over the summer, with the book "Abstract Algebra: An Introduction" by Hungerford. It's my first exposure to mathematical proofs (well, short of an introduction in my intro to discrete mathematics), so sometimes I'm not really sure I do everything right in an exercise, and have nobody to ask or verify my work. This is one of those exercises. It's pretty early in the section, and I seemed to have a bit trouble proving it, so I want to ask here if my proof is correct/how I could have made it easier.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If G is an abelian p-group and (n,p) = 1 prove that the map f: G -> G given by f(a) = na is an isomorphism.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So what I need to prove in order for f to be an isomorphisms is that;
    1. f is a homomorphism
    2. f is injective
    3. f is surjective

Everything below is in custom additive notation.

1. This is trivial, as clearly
    f(a +b) = n(a + b) = a + b + ... + a + b = a + a + ... + a + b + .... + b = f(a) + f(b).
    Here I just used that in abelian groups, the operation defined is commutative.

2. Injectivenes I prove by the fact that (n,p) = 1, and since every element a of G has an order that is a power of p, na != 0 if a != 0. Therefore, we see that the kernel of the homomorphism is just the identity element, and a previous result in the book states that this happens if and only if f is injective.

3. Surjective
    Since for any element b that is in G, we know that the order of b is p^m for some integer m.
    Also, since (n,p) = 1, we know that (n, p^m) = 1. But that means that we have a solution in x,y to the equation (p^m)x + ny = 1. Multiplying by b I get b(p^m)x + bny = b. Now I use commutative law of the group and rewrite equation into:
    (bp^m)x + n(by) = b from which it follows that (since the first term becomes 0)
    n(by) = f(by) = b.

It's the last part I'm a bit shaky about. Could someone tell me if this proof is correct, or in what way I should do it differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This seems to be ok! :smile:

However:

I feel that you actually used associativity here, instead of commutativity.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    Hello, thanks for such a fast reply. It feels better to go on doing further exercises when I know I've done that one correctly.

Oh, yes it's associativity indeed. I checked my post for errors twice and somehow missed that one :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook