1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Linear Algebra - Similar Matrices and Rank

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose matrices A and B are similar. Explain why they have the same rank.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So if A and B are similar, then there is some invertible matrix P such that B = P^-1AP. I have been trying to find some way to relate rank(A) to rank(P^-1AP) but I can't figure it out. I feel like maybe i'm missing some intuition about this. This comes at the end of a section about linear transformations.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the definition of "rank"?

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    "The dimension of the row (or column) space of a matrix is called the rank of A and is denoted by rank(A)."

Thinking about this I recall that the rank of a linear transformation is equal to the rank of the matrix for T (where T is defined by T(x) = Ax). So if A and B both represent the same linear transformation but with respect to different bases, then they will have the same rank. This relationship is described by them being similar. P and P^-1 are the transition matrices between the bases.

Is my thinking headed in the right direction? I still feel unclear about this. Is there a way to discuss this without reference to transformations and just from the definition of being similar?

Thank you for your time.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The rank of A is the dimension of the image of A. So take a basis of the image of A. Can you maje this into a basis of the image of [itex]PAP^{-1}[/itex]??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook