Elementary Linear Algebra - Similar Matrices and Rank

• Thread starter Rockoz
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Suppose matrices A and B are similar. Explain why they have the same rank.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So if A and B are similar, then there is some invertible matrix P such that B = P^-1AP. I have been trying to find some way to relate rank(A) to rank(P^-1AP) but I can't figure it out. I feel like maybe i'm missing some intuition about this. This comes at the end of a section about linear transformations.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What is the definition of "rank"?

"The dimension of the row (or column) space of a matrix is called the rank of A and is denoted by rank(A)."

Thinking about this I recall that the rank of a linear transformation is equal to the rank of the matrix for T (where T is defined by T(x) = Ax). So if A and B both represent the same linear transformation but with respect to different bases, then they will have the same rank. This relationship is described by them being similar. P and P^-1 are the transition matrices between the bases.

Is my thinking headed in the right direction? I still feel unclear about this. Is there a way to discuss this without reference to transformations and just from the definition of being similar?

Thank you for your time.

The rank of A is the dimension of the image of A. So take a basis of the image of A. Can you maje this into a basis of the image of [itex]PAP^{-1}[/itex]??