1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding properties of a linear transformation

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the domain, target space, image, rank and nullity of the linear transformation T(A)=Av, where v= (1, 2) and A is any 2×2matrix.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe I know the domain (R2x2 vector space) and target space (R2), but I am not sure how to solve for the image, rank, and nullity. I have tried making the matrix A an arbitrary 2x2 matrix with the variables a, b, c, d but this doesn't seem to be making it easy to find the image or rank. And I think if I am able to find the rank, I can find the nullity based on the rank-nullity theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not sure what you mean by "R2x2 vector space".
    What does the vector Av look like, using the matrix you described?

The nullspace is easy: Solve the equation
    $$A\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}$$

Finding the image is similar:
    Solve the equation
    $$A\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2\end{bmatrix}$$

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

Ok, so if I let
    A= a b
    c d
    then, solving for the nullspace, I would get something like $$t\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + s\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -0.5\end{bmatrix}$$, meaning $$\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -0.5\end{bmatrix}$$ spans the nullspace?

and solving for the image would be similar of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted