Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elephant Toothpaste Experiment in closed container used to compress air

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    In case you have never heard of the elephant toothpaste experiment, take a look at this:

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/elephant-toothpaste.html" [Broken]

I was just wondering, if you put the chemicals together in an air tight container, would the air pressure increase?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2

kjl

Absolutely; the gas being released takes up significantly more volume than the initial liquids and solids.

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would be very careful doing an experiment like this. 30-35% H2O2 is very dangerous for casual use due to the combination of oxidation and exothermic reactions.

Putting that in a pressure vessel is an even worse idea- unless proper safety precautions are taken.

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4
    ok, thx. Now, i would like to use the compressed air as fuel for a jetpack. I know it probably wouldn't have enough force to lift a person off the ground, but maybe just make the person feel very light, so he could jump very high for a few secconds.

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5
    Air and fuel are traditionally very distinct counterparts; for example, the air (or oxidant) would be one feed to the jet of choice, and the wearer's fat might work as the fuel if it were neatly extracted and the water load removed from any 'flame front' to the jet.

Have fun making this happen, but don't feel too stuck on one method of chemical production.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook