Elephant Toothpaste Experiment in closed container used to compress air

• Thread starter bigmoney
  • Start date
In case you have never heard of the elephant toothpaste experiment, take a look at this:

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/elephant-toothpaste.html" [Broken]

I was just wondering, if you put the chemicals together in an air tight container, would the air pressure increase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

kjl
Absolutely; the gas being released takes up significantly more volume than the initial liquids and solids.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I would be very careful doing an experiment like this. 30-35% H2O2 is very dangerous for casual use due to the combination of oxidation and exothermic reactions.

Putting that in a pressure vessel is an even worse idea- unless proper safety precautions are taken.

ok, thx. Now, i would like to use the compressed air as fuel for a jetpack. I know it probably wouldn't have enough force to lift a person off the ground, but maybe just make the person feel very light, so he could jump very high for a few secconds.

Air and fuel are traditionally very distinct counterparts; for example, the air (or oxidant) would be one feed to the jet of choice, and the wearer's fat might work as the fuel if it were neatly extracted and the water load removed from any 'flame front' to the jet.

Have fun making this happen, but don't feel too stuck on one method of chemical production.