Eliminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Gundown64
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
EDIT: Figured it out. Stupid me. I should have solved in terms of x, giving me x=1-(y+3)^2 as my answer.

Homework Statement


x= 1−[itex]t^{2}[/itex], y= t−3, −2 ≤ t ≤ 2

Eliminate the parameter to find a Cartesian equation of the curve for
−5 ≤ y ≤ −1

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved for t and got [itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex]. Then I plugged it into y=t-3 and got y=[itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex]-3. However, that only gives me half of the parabola when I graph it. I know I need y=-[itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex]-3 to get the other half, but how do I make that one equation. I don't think I can use a ± sign in my answer.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
instead of solving t from x, try solving t from y and sub into x.