1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipse Circumscribed In Triangle

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Let P(x,a) and Q(-x,a) be two points on the upper half of the ellipse

[tex] \frac{x^2}{100}+\frac{(y-5)^2}{25}=1 [/tex]

centered at (0,5). A triangle RST is formed by using the tangent lines to the ellipse at Q and P.

Show that the area of the triangle is

[tex]A(x)=-f'(x)[x-\frac{f(x)}{f'(x)}]^2 [/tex]

where y=f(x) is the function representing the upper half of the ellipse.

- I know f'(x) is the slope of the tangent line
    - I have the equations for the top half of the parabola as well as the derivation
    - I tried doing slope point form but for some reason it didn't work as I kept getting height = f(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The ellipse appears to be completely irrelevant to the proposition, except for the purpose of imposing a symmetry about the y-axis. I am going to make one small change and call the points on the ellipse (x_0, a) and (-x_0, a).

I am assuming that the base of the triangle RST is the x-axis, since nothing is given about that in the problem. The tangent lines to the point on the ellipse meet on the y-axis at a point (0, b). Since the slopes on the tangent lines will be +/- f' , the x-intercepts of those tangent lines will be (-b/f' , 0) and (b/f' , 0). Thus the area of the triangle is

A = (1/2) · (2b/f') · (b) = (b^2)/f' .

Now the slope of the tangent line from (0, b) to (x_0, a) is

f' = (a - b)/(x_0) ,

which is negative, which is also evident from the geometry. We can solve to find

b = a - (x_0)·f' = f - (x_0)·f' ,

since a = f(x_0) and I am transferring to the notation of the problem.

Substituting this into our area formula gives

A = { [ f - (x_0)·f' ]^2 }/f'

= { (f'^2)·[ (f/f') - (x_0) ]^2 }/f'

= f' · [ (f/f') - (x_0) ]^2 .

Since I have used the half of the triangle in the positive-x half-plane, f' < 0 , so taking the absolute value of this expression to obtain a positive area will introduce a minus sign.

Nowhere in this does it seem necessary to use any property of the ellipse other than its symmetry about the y-axis.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?