Elliptic function - different definitions

In summary, there is a difference in the definition of the complete elliptic integral of the first kind between Wolfram Mathematica and Abramowitz-Stegun. Mathematica's version has two branch cuts on the real axis, while Abramowitz's version is only defined for |m| < 1. This causes issues when trying to use the formulas derived in Mathematica with GSL, as GSL's version of K(m) is only defined for |m| < 1. It is possible to express EllipticK[m] in terms of K, but the relationship between the two is not clear.
csopi
Elliptic function -- different definitions

Hi,

I have recently discovered, that the definition of the complete elliptic integral of the first kind in Wolfram Mathematica (EllipticK[m]) is different from the usual (K(m)), given in Abramowitz-Stegun.

Their domains are not the same. In Abramowitz-Stegun, K is defined for |m| < 1, however in Mathematica, the domain is -Infinity < m<1.

My question is, the following. How EllipticK[m] is related to K, when m < -1? Is it related at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, I have checked it, although I did not really understand it. For m > 1, EllipticK is complex, while for m < -1 it is real, and I cannot see, how they are related.

To be specific, my problem is that I am writing a numerical code in GSL, that uses elliptic functions. The formulas to be calculated numerically were derivedwith the help of Mathematica, so they contain EllipticK. The problem is, that (following Abramowitz) the GSL version of K(m) is defined only for |m| < 1, and when I'm passing a large negative argument to it (e.g. -4, that is a valid value for EllipticK), it dies with an out of domain error. So I need to express EllipticK[m] in terms of K.

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are complex functions that are periodic in two directions, making them useful in solving problems involving periodicity and symmetry. They are often used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are the different definitions of elliptic functions?

There are several ways to define elliptic functions, including as solutions to certain differential equations, as quotients of two Weierstrass P-functions, or as modular forms. Each definition has its own advantages and applications.

3. How are elliptic functions related to elliptic curves?

Elliptic functions and elliptic curves are closely related, but not the same. Elliptic curves are algebraic curves defined by cubic equations, while elliptic functions are complex functions. However, elliptic curves can be described using elliptic functions, and elliptic functions can be used to study the points on an elliptic curve.

4. What is the significance of elliptic functions in mathematics?

Elliptic functions have many important applications in mathematics, including in complex analysis, algebraic geometry, number theory, and mathematical physics. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as modular forms, Riemann surfaces, and algebraic curves.

5. How are elliptic functions used in real-world problems?

Elliptic functions have numerous applications in real-world problems, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, they are used to model the motion of a pendulum, as well as to describe the behavior of waves and vibrations in various systems. They also have applications in cryptography and coding theory.