Jacobian Elliptic Functions as Inverse Elliptic Functions

In summary, Jacobian Elliptic Functions are defined as the inverses of Elliptic Functions and are used as a convenient way to solve differential equations involving elliptic functions. These functions have a variety of applications, including in non-linear differential equations. They can be further explored in texts on elliptic functions and integrals.
bamajon1974
I need help in understanding how Jacobian Elliptic Functions are interpreted as inverses of Elliptic Functions.

Please reference the wiki page on Jacobian Elliptic functions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobi_elliptic_functions

For example, if $$u=u(φ,m)$$ is defined as $$u(φ,m) = \int_0^φ \frac{1}{ \sqrt{1-m sin^2(θ)}} \, dθ$$

where ##φ## is the amplitude $$φ=am(u)$$

Then $$y'=sin(φ)$$ is defined to be the Jacobian function $$sn(u,m)$$ or $$sin(φ)=sn(u,m)$$

I understand that the Jacobian functions are defined as inverses to the elliptic integrals. Bug where does the ##sin(φ)## come from? I think I am getting getting lost with all of the different variables. Can someone explain in as clearly as possible? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The elliptic functions are inverses of the elliptic integrals. Taking the sine of the inverse of the integral is just a convenience. If you're interested, I suggest you experiment with the functions EllipticF and JacobiSN in Mathematica. . If we have the differential equation

$$y''=g/L\sin(y)$$, then we can solve it exactly using elliptic functions. The solution is:

$$y(t)=2\arcsin\left\{k\;\text{sn}\left[\sqrt{g/l} (t-t_0),m\right]\right\}$$

It's a beautiful derivation and I invite anyone interested in non-linear DEs to review the derivation. It can be found in this text which also has a nice chapter on elliptic functions and integrals:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_Nonlinear_Differential_a.html?id=RgbWowrjKd4C

Last edited:

1. What are Jacobian Elliptic Functions?

Jacobian Elliptic Functions are a class of special functions that are used to describe the behavior of elliptic curves. They are derived from the inverse of the elliptic integrals and can be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How are Jacobian Elliptic Functions related to Inverse Elliptic Functions?

Jacobian Elliptic Functions are essentially the inverse of Inverse Elliptic Functions. In other words, they are the functions that undo the actions of Inverse Elliptic Functions. They are closely related and often used in conjunction with each other.

3. What is the significance of Jacobian Elliptic Functions?

Jacobian Elliptic Functions have significant applications in various fields of science and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving elliptic curves, which are common in physics, engineering, and cryptography. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

4. How are Jacobian Elliptic Functions different from other special functions?

Jacobian Elliptic Functions have a unique property of being doubly periodic, meaning they repeat themselves in two different directions. This makes them particularly useful for modeling real-world phenomena that exhibit periodic behavior, such as oscillations and vibrations.

5. Can Jacobian Elliptic Functions be evaluated numerically?

Yes, Jacobian Elliptic Functions can be evaluated numerically using various computational methods, such as numerical integration and series expansions. However, due to their complex nature, they can be computationally expensive and require specialized software or algorithms.