Emergen-c better than pill vitamin?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the benefits and effects of EmergenC, a powder supplement that claims to be more effective than traditional pill vitamins due to its water solubility. The conversation also mentions its high levels of vitamin C and B vitamins, and suggests that it may be a more convenient way to get necessary nutrients. However, there is mention that taking excessive amounts of vitamin C may not necessarily improve health and that the suggested dosage may be higher than necessary. The conversation also addresses concerns about the sugar content and potential toxicity of megadosing on vitamin C. Ultimately, the effectiveness of EmergenC and its superiority over traditional vitamins is still debated.
This and similar products have been around for awhile. They claim it's better than a pill vitamin because it's more water soluble. It's a powder you mix into water. I drink it mostly because I like the taste. Is it true this is a more effective way of "taking a vitamin"?

http://www.emergenc.com/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's way more vitamin C than you will ever need. Though, it also has several B vitamins in it, and B vitamins are good for boosting energy. For the vitamin C, you can get your daily requirements with a glass of orange juice, which is 1/10th of what EmergenC contains. You wouldn't get much B vitamins from OJ though.

It has some sugar in it. I don't think it makes a difference if you use this or take a vitamin pill. If you think you aren't getting quite enough vitamins from your diet, and are more likely to remember to drink this stuff as take a pill, nothing jumps out as bad about it. Not what it's hyped up to be, and you won't need to drink it 3 or 4 times a day as the site recommends...one would be enough, but nothing harmful there either.

If it tastes good, it's better than soda or those fruit juices with nothing but sugar and minimal nutrients.

but remember, Everything in high enough quantities can be toxic.

Enough water can kill you. don't let the whole 'water soluble' thing debunk you. it is possible, incredibly tough, but possible, to over dose on Vitamin C.

Please Please read the label and follow their recommendation.

Moonbear said:
It's way more vitamin C than you will ever need. Though, it also has several B vitamins in it, and B vitamins are good for boosting energy. For the vitamin C, you can get your daily requirements with a glass of orange juice, which is 1/10th of what EmergenC contains. You wouldn't get much B vitamins from OJ though.

It has some sugar in it. I don't think it makes a difference if you use this or take a vitamin pill. If you think you aren't getting quite enough vitamins from your diet, and are more likely to remember to drink this stuff as take a pill, nothing jumps out as bad about it. Not what it's hyped up to be, and you won't need to drink it 3 or 4 times a day as the site recommends...one would be enough, but nothing harmful there either.

If it tastes good, it's better than soda or those fruit juices with nothing but sugar and minimal nutrients.

Isn't that good for when you're sick though? To hose down your insides with liquid Vitamin C and shock-kill the invaders? That's what the folk lore says Emergen-C is for.

Pythagorean said:
Isn't that good for when you're sick though? To hose down your insides with liquid Vitamin C and shock-kill the invaders? That's what the folk lore says Emergen-C is for.

I may be crazy, but I don't believe that is how the human immune system works. You're body will only use a certain amount of nutrient per unit of time (probably more when you are sick), thus taking in any more than that amount is useless with exception to the placebo effect. And the placebo effect can actually be quite powerful. So if I guess take as much as you can, if you "TRUELY" believe it makes your body stronger.

@Pythagorean It depends on your fitness level. For the average joe taking vitamin-C has not been shown to decrease chances or duration of colds. However in more athletic people it significantly reduces the odds of getting a cold.

1,000 mg of vitamin-C in my opinion is an ok amount for a full day... there's nothing wrong with it at all. High levels of vitamin-C has been shown to reduce incidences of certain diseases. The main concern when those 'nutritional guides' are published is mainly reducing the odds of getting scurvy. While the suggested amount certainly will reduce the odds of this occurring (basically eliminate it actually) that doesn't mean that taking more is 'bad' for you. In fact taking more known as 'megadosing' has been suggested to lead to a better overall health. There's not a lot of published material on this though and what has been published leads me to believe that it decreases chances of just a few diseases... not particularly ones that you would have to be worried about taking normal dosages of vitamin-C.

@toykiller vitamin-C is very low in toxicity. It's virtually impossible to die from vitamin-C overdose. For instance the lethal median dose for rats is just under 12g taken orally. That's a LOT of vitamin-C for those little critters. Vitamin-B6 is toxic to humans however but the amount that is in this isn't jumping at me as dangerous. Even if you take multiple dosages per day, unless you took it all at once. Vitamin B12 is in the same category as vitamin-C, in fact I believe it's even less toxic to humans. Nothing to worry about.

@Greg I don't really see anything which would leap out at me suggesting it's better than a vitamin pill. Maybe the fact that it would be faster acting (assuming it's for a boost of energy) but that's about it. I would suggest like moonbear has though to not take the suggested amount. I would personally stick to maybe 1-2 a day. Probably 1 when I woke up and perhaps one later on in the day, no more than that though it wouldn't really be necessary. I assume you have a healthy diet :tongue:. One reason I would suggest taking the drink vs. taking the pill is that a) you think it tastes good and b) pills can have adverse indigestion effects which I don't think would happen, or at least not as often, in a liquid form. That's about it though. Just make sure they are spread out and not right at once.

If you ever start feeling numbness or weakness you should probably discontinue for awhile and if you decide to take it again lower the dosages you take. That's the toxic effect of vitamin-B6 in high dosages (around 1000mg normally in rare cases it can happen at around half of that).

Last edited:

1. How is Emergen-C better than regular vitamin pills?

Emergen-C is better than regular vitamin pills because it contains a unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that work together to boost the immune system and provide a quick and easy way to meet daily vitamin and mineral needs. It also comes in a powder form that can be dissolved in water, making it easier for the body to absorb and utilize the nutrients.

2. Can Emergen-C really prevent colds and flu?

While Emergen-C cannot prevent colds and flu on its own, it can help support a healthy immune system. The blend of vitamins and minerals in Emergen-C, particularly vitamin C and zinc, have been shown to have immune-boosting properties. However, it is still important to practice good hygiene and get enough rest to prevent illness.

3. Is Emergen-C safe to take every day?

Yes, Emergen-C is safe to take every day, as long as it is taken as directed. It is a dietary supplement and should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet. If you have any underlying health conditions or are taking any medications, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before adding any new supplement to your routine.

4. Are there any side effects of taking Emergen-C?

In general, Emergen-C is considered safe and does not have any major side effects. However, some individuals may experience minor side effects such as stomach upset, nausea, or diarrhea. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, it is important to stop taking Emergen-C and consult with your healthcare provider.

5. Can I take Emergen-C if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

It is always best to consult with your healthcare provider before taking any supplement while pregnant or breastfeeding. While Emergen-C is generally considered safe for most individuals, it is always important to check with your doctor to ensure it is safe for you and your baby.