Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMI - induced current on two parallel wire

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    I would like to quantify the EMI on a circuit and I am confused on how to do that. I have two parallel wires that are laying on top of each other. I have tried to calculate the flux linkage and came up with:

[tex]\Lambda[/tex] = [l*[tex]\mu[/tex]o*I/(2pi)]*ln((d-a)/a)

where a=radius of each wire, d=distance between the center of the wires, l=length of the wires, I=current on wire 1, and [tex]\mu[/tex]o*=permeability of free space.

I don't understand how this would induce a current on wire 2 though.

I'd really appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks,
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    A constant current will not induce a current in another wire; induced current is proportional to the change in the original current.

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your reply. You are right. I'm sorry I forgot to indicate that the problem is occuring because inrush current. So, there would be a change in current. Do you know how to calculate the change in current on wire 2 due to a change in current on wire 1?

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

It depends on how exactly the current is changing. You don't necessarily need a change in current; a change in magnetic flux through some pre-defined surface or where magnetic flux lines are being cut suffices as well.

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    If I could measure exactly how the current is changing on wire 1 do you know how I would be able to calculate the change in current on wire 2? Does the flux linkage equation apply here? If so, how does it translate into a change in current on wire 2?

Thanks!

7. Dec 9, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

You have to use Faraday's law here:
    [tex]Emf = -\frac{d\Phi_B}{dt} [/tex].
    So this gives you the induced emf on wire 2. To get the induced current, divide emf by resistance of wire 2. That's all I can say if you don't provide any more information on the setup.

8. Dec 9, 2008 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can have both inductive and capacitive crosstalk. The capacitive crosstalk is just coupling from wire-to-wire. Inductive coupling requires tso loops to couple the energy. So don't ignore the return paths of the wires in your inductive crosstalk calculation.

9. Dec 11, 2008 #8
    thanks for the responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?