1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

End Plate Design For a Heat Exchanger

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    I am currently in the process of designing an end-plate for a heat exchanger. I know I can do what I am about to ask with FEA, but that is not feasible right now. Here are the design parameters:
    Shell and tube HX, Max operating Temp=1100 F, 59 1" SS 304 Tubes, staggered pattern, 12" Shell OD (The tubes occupy 43% of the end-plate area; in other words, (# of Tubes*Dt^2)/Ds^2=.43). I found that the end-plates modulus of elasticity can be assumed to be 13% as a perforated plate with this design.

The ends of the tubes will be welded onto the end-plate which will be welded to the inside of the shell. I am concerned that the stresses on the end-plate due to thermal expansion of the pipe will lead to failure, so I am trying to find an appropriate thickness for the endplate. I did find a few good sites. One of which is:
    http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Mechanics/Plates.html.
    The problem is I have holes that are not in the center of the end plate.

Also, I was thinking an "outside the box" solution would be to preheat the tubes when welding them to the end-plate.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2013 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cpizzleo: I do not foresee someone solving this problem without using FEA. Each tube will apply a different force to the end plate based on tube location (radius) from the end plate center, and based on end plate thickness (stiffness).

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Maybe a sensible solution would be to put a slight bend, (or spiral), in every tube. That would convert the very high axial stress during operation into a much lower tube bending stress. End plate specifications could then be considerably relaxed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook