Plate fin tube heat exchanger design procedure

In summary, the conversation discusses the procedure for designing a plate fin tube heat exchanger (air cooler) at defined mass flow rates and inlet/outlet temperatures. The participants also inquire about software packages that can be used for this purpose, with one suggesting McAdams' book "Heat Transmission" and another mentioning Solidworks as a potential design and simulation tool. The cost and availability of these packages are also mentioned.
y2j
Hi
anyone have the procedure to design the plate fin tube heat exchanger (air cooler) at defined mass flow rates and inlet / outlet temperatures ,
or anyone have an software package can be used for this purpose , please can share it with me

Engineering news on Phys.org
y2j said:
Hi
anyone have the procedure to design the plate fin tube heat exchanger (air cooler) at defined mass flow rates and inlet / outlet temperatures ,
or anyone have an software package can be used for this purpose , please can share it with me
See McAdams, Heat Transmission

Chet

Do you mean Heat Transmission
by
William Henry McAdams ?
I get the following version
3rd Edition 1985

y2j said:
Do you mean Heat Transmission
by
William Henry McAdams ?
I get the following version
3rd Edition 1985
Yes.

OK, thanks
I will see it

Solidworks would be a good package to design and test your heat exchanger, you can 'build' your design and run simulations on it to analyse your design with differing parameters.

Thanks
but how can one obtain this package ?
Is there a version of this package free to download ?

I think they are quite expensive packages, am not too sure as we use it through our university

thanks

may be search another solution

1. What is a plate fin tube heat exchanger?

A plate fin tube heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that uses plates and tubes to transfer heat between two fluids. The plate fins provide a large surface area for heat transfer, while the tubes allow for the flow of the fluids.

2. How does a plate fin tube heat exchanger work?

A plate fin tube heat exchanger works by having one fluid flow through the tubes while the other fluid flows through the spaces between the fins. The heat from one fluid is transferred to the other through the walls of the tubes and fins.

3. What are the main components of a plate fin tube heat exchanger?

The main components of a plate fin tube heat exchanger include the plates, fins, tubes, headers, and frame. The plates and fins provide the surface area for heat transfer, while the tubes and headers allow for the flow of the fluids. The frame holds all the components together.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a plate fin tube heat exchanger?

When designing a plate fin tube heat exchanger, factors such as the flow rates and temperatures of the fluids, the desired heat transfer rate, and the materials of construction should be considered. It is also important to consider the size, weight, and cost of the heat exchanger.

5. What is the procedure for designing a plate fin tube heat exchanger?

The design procedure for a plate fin tube heat exchanger involves determining the heat transfer rate required, selecting the appropriate materials, calculating the required surface area, and sizing the tubes and fins. The design should also consider factors such as pressure drop, fouling, and maintenance requirements.