Flat plate heat exchanger - Hand calculations help

In summary, the person is seeking help with designing a flat plate heat exchanger for a project and is specifically looking for guidance on hand calculations using the LMTD and E-NTU methods. They also mention needing to determine parameters such as area and number of plates. A helpful link is provided for further information and analysis on heat exchangers.
MechEngFrank
I am designing a flat plate heat exchanger for a project and I am not sure where to start with the hand calculations, specifically the LMTD and E-NTU methods, also how to work out the parameters which i will need to complete these methods such as area and number of plates. My deadline is soon, any help is much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could begin by giving us a bit more information. ie. the temperatures involved (temperature of the thing being cooled and the initial temperature of the coolant - presumably air), and the specific heat of the coolant.

AM

MechEngFrank said:
I am designing a flat plate heat exchanger for a project and I am not sure where to start with the hand calculations, specifically the LMTD and E-NTU methods, also how to work out the parameters which i will need to complete these methods such as area and number of plates. My deadline is soon, any help is much appreciated.
I would suggest this link will prove to be more usefull to you for getting the desired heat heat exchanger. http://www.gea-phe.com/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/product_datasheets/NA_FP_CH_usa.pdf

For more detailed analysis and design you can refer.
http://www.xetexinc.com/uploaded/Doc/2-2%20Flat%20Plate%20Heat%20Exchangers%20-%20An%20Introduction%20v2.1.pdf

1. What is a flat plate heat exchanger?

A flat plate heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that uses a series of flat plates to transfer heat between two fluids. It is commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications for heating, cooling, and heat recovery processes.

2. How does a flat plate heat exchanger work?

A flat plate heat exchanger works by having two fluids flow through alternate channels formed by the flat plates. The heat is transferred between the fluids through the plates, which have a large surface area for efficient heat exchange.

3. What are the advantages of using a flat plate heat exchanger?

Flat plate heat exchangers have several advantages, including high heat transfer efficiency, compact size, and low cost. They are also easy to install and maintain, and can handle a wide range of flow rates and temperatures.

4. How do I calculate the heat transfer in a flat plate heat exchanger by hand?

The heat transfer in a flat plate heat exchanger can be calculated manually using the heat transfer equation Q=UAΔT, where Q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the heat transfer area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two fluids.

5. What factors affect the performance of a flat plate heat exchanger?

The performance of a flat plate heat exchanger is affected by several factors, such as the fluid flow rate, temperature difference, heat transfer surface area, and fouling or scaling on the heat transfer surfaces. The design and material of the flat plates also play a role in the overall performance.