Graduating with a BS in Pure Math: Advice Needed

• Thread starter lyeinyoureye
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has recently completed their BS in Pure Math and plans to take some math grad courses. They are also considering pursuing an MS, but have decided against a doctorate in math. They are currently working on a project for a cog-psy professor and are interested in graduate programs in physics, econ, climate sciences, and geophysics. They are seeking advice on these programs and how to get a good overview of the material, aside from technical journals. They are also open to any comments or suggestions.
lyeinyoureye
I'm done with my BS in Pure Math (well, I've been done for two quarters now, but I'm graduating 12/05) and am going to take a few math grad courses if all goes well. From there I might even try to finish up an MS if I can...
However I've decided that math isn't the right avenue in terms of a doctorate. Right now I'm working on a project for a cog-psy prof at my college, but I'm also interested in a few other graduate programs such as physics, econ, climate sciences, geophysics, and well.. whatever happens to catch my eye. Does anyone here have any advice regarding these programs, or what the best method would be for getting a nice overview of the material? I'm attempting to sit in on a few seminars if I can this quarter (it worked for cog-psy), but aside from that, the only other source of information is technical journals.
Comments, suggestions, Ugly Sticks?

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of math are you into?

First of all, congratulations on completing your BS in Pure Math! That is a great accomplishment and I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you. It's great that you have already started thinking about your next steps and exploring different graduate programs. Here are some suggestions that may help you in your decision-making process:

1. Attend seminars and conferences: As you mentioned, sitting in on seminars is a great way to get an overview of the material and also to network with professionals in your field of interest. Attending conferences and workshops related to the programs you are considering can also give you a better understanding of the current research and trends in those fields.

2. Talk to professors and professionals: Reach out to professors in the programs you are interested in and ask for their advice and insights. They can provide you with valuable information about the program and also potential career paths. You can also connect with professionals who are currently working in those fields to get a better understanding of what the job market is like and what skills and qualifications are needed.

3. Research the program requirements: Make sure to thoroughly research the requirements for each program you are considering. Some programs may require specific courses or skills that you may need to acquire before applying. This will also help you narrow down your options and focus on the programs that align with your interests and qualifications.

4. Consider internships or research opportunities: If possible, try to gain hands-on experience in the fields you are interested in through internships or research opportunities. This will not only give you a better understanding of the work involved but also make your application stand out to admissions committees.

5. Keep an open mind: It's great that you have a variety of interests, but it's important to keep an open mind and be flexible in your decision-making process. You may discover new interests and opportunities along the way, so don't limit yourself to just a few programs.

Lastly, don't be afraid to seek guidance and support from your professors, advisors, and peers. They can provide valuable insights and advice based on their own experiences. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What kind of career options are available with a BS in Pure Math?

Graduating with a BS in Pure Math can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, cryptography, programming, and research. Many industries value the problem-solving and analytical skills that come with a math degree.

2. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree after completing a BS in Pure Math?

While a graduate degree can provide further specialization and open up more advanced career options, it is not necessary to have a successful career with a BS in Pure Math. Many entry-level positions in the above-mentioned fields only require a bachelor's degree.

3. How can I make the most out of my undergraduate experience in Pure Math?

Aside from taking challenging courses and maintaining a strong GPA, it is important to get involved in research, internships, and extracurricular activities related to math. Networking with professionals and professors in the field can also help in finding job opportunities after graduation.

4. What skills should I focus on developing during my undergraduate studies in Pure Math?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and theories, it is important to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills. Communication and programming skills can also be beneficial in many career paths.

5. How can I prepare for a career in academia with a BS in Pure Math?

If your goal is to pursue a career in academia, it is important to maintain a high GPA, engage in research projects, and develop strong relationships with professors who can write letters of recommendation. Pursuing a graduate degree can also increase your chances of obtaining a teaching or research position in a university.