Energy carried by Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, the industrial laser in this problem has an average density of S = 1.24E9 W/m2 and the goal is to find the rms values for the electromagnetic fields emitted by the laser. Using the equations S = ceoE2 and E=cB, the rms values are found to be E = 683405.7 N/C and B = 0.00228 T. It is important to pay attention to significant figures when solving this problem.
Gannon

Homework Statement

An industrial laser is used to burn a hole through a piece of metal. The average density of the light is S = 1.24E9 W/m2. What is the rms value of each of the following fields in the electromagnetic wave emitted by the laser?

Homework Equations

S = ceoE2
S = (c/uo)B2
E=cB
S is average density and E,B are rms values.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for E:
sqrt(S/ceo) = E
sqrt(1.24E9/(3e8 x 8.85E-12)) = E = 683405.7 N/C

Solving for B:
E = cB
E/C = B
4.67E11/3E8 = .00228T

I have 5 tries to get this homework right and I'm down to my last one. I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out this time. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. You might need to watch the significant figures on the answer for E, they checked for that.

I would like to point out that the equations used in this attempt are not entirely accurate. The first equation, S = ceoE2, is only applicable for electromagnetic waves in vacuum. In this case, the laser is emitting the electromagnetic wave in a medium (metal), so the correct equation would be S = ceoE2/n, where n is the refractive index of the medium. Additionally, the second equation, S = (c/uo)B2, is only valid for magnetic fields in vacuum. In this situation, since the laser is emitting an electromagnetic wave in a medium, the correct equation would be S = (c/uo)B2/n, where n is the refractive index of the medium.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the average density of light (S) is not the same as the intensity of light. S represents the flow of energy per unit area, while intensity is the power per unit area. Therefore, the units for S are watts/meter^2, while the units for intensity are watts/meter^2/steradian.

To accurately solve this problem, we need to know the wavelength of the laser, as well as the refractive index of the metal. With this information, we can use the equations for power density and intensity to calculate the RMS values of the electric and magnetic fields.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would suggest reviewing the correct equations and units for power density and intensity, as well as considering the medium in which the electromagnetic wave is propagating, in order to accurately solve this problem.

1. What is the relationship between the energy carried by electromagnetic waves and their frequency?

The energy carried by electromagnetic waves is directly proportional to their frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy carried by the waves. Similarly, as the frequency decreases, the energy carried also decreases.

2. How is the energy carried by electromagnetic waves different from other forms of energy?

The energy carried by electromagnetic waves is unique because it does not require a medium to travel through. Unlike sound waves, for example, which require a medium such as air to travel, electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. This is because they are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy carried by electromagnetic waves?

The amount of energy carried by electromagnetic waves is affected by their frequency and amplitude. As mentioned before, the higher the frequency, the higher the energy carried. The amplitude, or height, of the wave also plays a role in the energy carried. A higher amplitude wave will have more energy than a lower amplitude wave.

4. Can electromagnetic waves transfer their energy to other objects?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can transfer their energy to other objects. This is how we receive energy from the sun in the form of sunlight. When electromagnetic waves come into contact with an object, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The energy carried by the waves is then transferred to the object.

5. How is the energy carried by electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

The energy carried by electromagnetic waves has many practical applications in our daily lives. Some common uses include communication (such as radio waves and microwaves), heating and cooking (such as infrared and microwave ovens), and vision (visible light). It is also used in medical imaging technologies, like X-rays and MRI scans.