Energy Dissipation Across a Resistor

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which energy is dissipated in a resistor R as a sliding contact moves from x=0 to x=10cm. The equations needed for this problem are: PR=i2R, 1/Rtotal=1/R+1/R0, and itotal=V/Rtotal. To solve, one must determine the linear relationship R=mx+b, using the points (0,0) and (10,R0) on the x,R plane.
boredbluejay

Homework Statement

A battery is connected across a uniform resistor R0. A sliding contact can move across R0 from x=0 to x=10cm at the right. Moving the contact changes how much resistance R is to the left of the contact and how much is to the right. Find the rate at which energy is dissipated in R as a function of x.

Homework Equations

Energy dissipated: PR=i2R
Voltage is the same for resistors in parallel
1/Rtotal=1/R+1/R0
itotal=V/Rtotal

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to express R in terms of x and R0, but I got stuck. I honestly have no idea how to begin, or even if all of the equations that I wrote above are relevant to this question. Could someone please give me a hint that'll point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi boredbluejay! :smile:

isn't resistance proportional to length? :wink:

I guess, but by what factor. >< I'm sorry, I'm really bad at this.

You have two points on the x,R plane: (0,0) and (10,R0). With this, determine the linear relationship R = mx + b.

Firstly, it is important to note that the sliding contact changes the resistance in the circuit by essentially creating two resistors in parallel. The resistance to the left of the contact (R1) can be expressed as R1 = R0(x/10) and the resistance to the right of the contact (R2) can be expressed as R2 = R0(1-x/10). This is because as the contact moves, the length of R1 and R2 changes in proportion to the total length of R0 (10cm).

Next, we can use the equations for power and current to find the rate at which energy is dissipated in R. The power dissipated in a resistor is given by P = i^2R, where i is the current flowing through the resistor. Since the voltage is the same for resistors in parallel, we can use the equation itotal = V/Rtotal to find the total current in the circuit.

Using this information, we can now express the power dissipated in R as a function of x:

P = (itotal)^2R = (V/Rtotal)^2R = (V^2/Rtotal)(R1||R2)

Where R1||R2 is the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2 in parallel. This can be found using the equation 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

Substituting in the expressions for R1 and R2, we get:

P = (V^2/Rtotal)(R0(x/10)(1-x/10))/(R0(x/10)+(1-x/10))

Simplifying, we get:

P = (V^2/R0)(x/10)(1-x/10)

Therefore, the rate at which energy is dissipated in R as a function of x is given by P = (V^2/R0)(x/10)(1-x/10). This shows that the power dissipated in R is dependent on both the voltage and the length of the resistor on either side of the contact. As the contact moves closer to one side, the length of that resistor increases and the length of the other resistor decreases, resulting in a change in the power dissipated.

What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy. This occurs when an electric current passes through a resistor, causing the atoms in the resistor to vibrate and generate heat.

How does energy dissipate across a resistor?

Energy dissipates across a resistor through the process of resistance. Resistance is the oppositional force that hinders the flow of electric current, causing some of the energy to be converted into heat.

What factors affect energy dissipation across a resistor?

The amount of energy dissipated across a resistor is affected by the resistance of the material, the current flowing through the resistor, and the duration of the current flow.

Why is energy dissipation important to consider?

Energy dissipation is important to consider because it can affect the performance and efficiency of electronic devices. Excessive energy dissipation can lead to overheating and potential damage to the device.

How is energy dissipation measured?

Energy dissipation can be measured using the formula P = I^2R, where P is power dissipated, I is the current flowing through the resistor, and R is the resistance of the material. The unit of measurement for energy dissipation is watts (W).