1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy flow in the wave equation (PDE)

1. May 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a problem that I'm trying to make sense of. Note y_t is the partial derivative of y with respect to t and y_tt is the second order partial derivative of y with respect to t, etc. The complete problem statement is the following:

Show that for the equation y_tt - c^2 y_xx = 0
    the quantity E = 1/2(y_t^2 + c^2 y_x^2)
    satisfies a conservation law dE/dt + dJ/dx = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated dE/dt to = y_t * y_tt + c^2 y_x * y_xt so dJ/dx must equal the negation of dE/dt. But I'm not sure where J comes from. I'm guessing that it is somehow related to y through the wave equation but I'm not sure how. Also it is unclear to me how I could integrate the negation of dE/dt to arrive at J. I gave the complete problem statement. In that chapter of the book the function J is used but I don't think it applies to this problem. It involves a function J in terms of other variables. Hoping what I gave makes sense.

Brian

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2010 #2
    I think this is just a mathematical trick. After you have differentiated E with respect to t then you
    can observe that the two terms may also be obtained by differentiating another function with respect
    to x. This function turns out to be y_t y_x and we can call it -J. Making this definition gives the result.

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You know E, you know the conservation relation that E and J satisfy, can't you use these two to try and compute what J has to be?

Mat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?