Energy Harvesting: Calculating kWh from Motorway Traffic

In summary, an energy converter would generate 4000 joules / s per pass and would power a road sensor or signal. It is not free, and it is more efficient to directly use some of the gasoline/electricity that the drivers would have been paying for.
PeterC
TL;DR Summary
Energy Harvesting on the street
Hello there :)

if there were an energy converter for a motorway where 5000000 cars drive over it annually and that has an efficiency of 100 percent, how many kWh does the energy converter give me?

The energy converter would generate 4000 joules / s per pass. (P = 1400 * 9.81 * 0.02 / 0.07). 1400 kg = mass; 9.81 = m / s ^ 2; 0.02 (2 cm sink from the energy converter) 0.07 (time in which the energy converter converts the energy)

My approach: I know that 274 joules can be converted into kWh. However, the time in which that energy converter is in use is neglected?
Is it allowed to do the math? ==> 5000000 cars per year would be a result of 570 cars per hour.

If you generate 4000J / s of power per crossing, it should be 570 * 4000 for 570 cars. So 2283105 j / s ==> the whole divided by 1000 results in my 2283 kilojoules per second. ==> Because 1kw = 1kj / s = 3600 kj = 1kwh per h, I can now say that 2283 kwh are generated per hour or 2283 * 24 * 365 per year.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterC said:
Summary:: Energy Harvesting on the street

Hello there :)

if there were an energy converter for a motorway where 5000000 cars drive over it annually and that has an efficiency of 100 percent, how many kWh does the energy converter give me?

The energy converter would generate 4000 joules / s per pass. (P = 1400 * 9.81 * 0.02 / 0.07). 1400 kg = mass; 9.81 = m / s ^ 2; 0.02 (2 cm sink from the energy converter) 0.07 (time in which the energy converter converts the energy)

My approach: I know that 274 joules can be converted into kWh. However, the time in which that energy converter is in use is neglected?
Is it allowed to do the math? ==> 5000000 cars per year would be a result of 570 cars per hour.

If you generate 4000J / s of power per crossing, it should be 570 * 4000 for 570 cars. So 2283105 j / s ==> the whole divided by 1000 results in my 2283 kilojoules per second. ==> Because 1kw = 1kj / s = 3600 kj = 1kwh per h, I can now say that 2283 kwh are generated per hour or 2283 * 24 * 365 per year.

Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Before running through any numbers, you do understand that such an energy source is not free, right? You are forcing drivers to pay for extra gasoline and electric charging time in order for you to make them less efficient so that you can harvest some of their energy. Driving on a deformable surface that you can use for energy harvesting makes them use more energy (that the drivers have to pay for).

And since such energy harvesting is far from 100% efficient, it is wasteful. It is more efficient to directly use some of the gasoline/electricity that the drivers would have been paying for.

Does that make sense?

Likes nasu and sophiecentaur
Energy is a simple thing to calculate:

##E=mgh##

energy harvested in a year = mass of 5000000 cars * the g * the depth

PeterC said:

Is this homework? If it is, I can't tell what's given and what's assumed. There's at least one obvious problem, though: you have Joules and Joules per hour, not Joules per second. The time it takes a car to roll over the generator is irrelevant/a red herring. What matters is the force and distance only, for each pass.

berkeman said:
Before running through any numbers, you do understand that such an energy source is not free, right? You are forcing drivers to pay for extra gasoline and electric charging time in order for you to make them less efficient so that you can harvest some of their energy.
We've had some people misunderstand that, so it is worth pointing it out, however there is a potential legitimate use for it, in powering road sensors or signals:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050916301971

It's better to just use solar and batteries, though.

Likes Imager, sophiecentaur, Tom.G and 1 other person

1. How does energy harvesting work?

Energy harvesting involves capturing and converting energy from various sources, such as motion, heat, or light, into usable electrical energy. In the case of motorway traffic, the energy generated from the vehicles' movement is captured and converted into electricity through a process called electromechanical conversion.

2. What is kWh and how is it calculated?

kWh stands for kilowatt-hour and is a unit of measurement for energy. It is calculated by multiplying the power of an electrical device in kilowatts by the amount of time it is used in hours. For example, if a device has a power rating of 1 kilowatt and is used for 1 hour, it would consume 1 kWh of energy.

3. How is energy harvested from motorway traffic?

Energy harvesting from motorway traffic typically involves the use of piezoelectric materials, which generate electricity when subjected to mechanical stress. These materials are placed under the road surface and when vehicles drive over them, they generate a small amount of electrical energy. This energy is then captured, stored, and converted into usable electricity.

4. What are the benefits of using energy harvesting from motorway traffic?

There are several benefits to using energy harvesting from motorway traffic. Firstly, it is a renewable source of energy, as long as there is traffic on the road. It also reduces the reliance on traditional energy sources, such as fossil fuels. Additionally, it can help to reduce carbon emissions and contribute to a more sustainable and eco-friendly transportation system.

5. Are there any limitations to using energy harvesting from motorway traffic?

While energy harvesting from motorway traffic has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is that it is not a constant source of energy, as it relies on the presence of traffic. This means that the energy output may vary and may not be reliable for consistent energy production. Additionally, the initial cost of implementing energy harvesting technology may be high, and it may require regular maintenance and upkeep.