1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in Circuits: The power lost to joule heating.

1. Mar 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The aluminum cable of a high-voltage transmission line carries a current 600A. The cable is 60km long, and it has a diameter of 2.5 cm. What is the power lost to Joule heating in this cable?

2. Relevant equations
    Should I use the equation V=1/(4piEo)integral(dq/r) to find the potential? And in saying that I also need to find the charge in order to find the potential difference? Do I have to use Gauss's Law to find the charge?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the equation to find the power lost to joule heating is P=I^2R
    in order to find the resistance, I solved solved for the potential difference using V=1/(4piEo)(q/r), I assumed that since the cable is aluminum that the Q= 1.6x10^-19C. my answer for potential difference is 1.2x10^-7 which I know is wrong.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2011 #2
    I already answered the question. I had to look up resistivity for aluminum since the cable is made up of aluminum, and use the equation R=P(L/A). After finding the resistance. I was able to find out the power lost to Joule heating by using P=I^2(R). P=600^2(3.42)= 1.2X10^6W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?