1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels and the Aufbau Principle

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    The energy levels of the hydrogen atom are given by En=-me4/(32[tex]\pi[/tex]2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]ohbarn2, and are independant of the orbital angular momentum quantum number l, yet the Aufbau principle clealry implies that the energies of s, p, and d orbitals are different. Explain this apparent paradox and provide an example of experimental evidence that supports your conclusion.

I feel like I'm on the right track if I go about it from a shielding/penetration standpoint. But I could use the additional help! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2
    There are certain approximations - things you neglected - that a more careful treatment will not neglect. Consider: the electron is actually a relativistic particle, yet you used the nonrelatavistic schrodinger equation to derive those energy levels.

Look up the fine structure of the hydrogen atom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook