1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels of helium/equation

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    the equation for the energy levels of a hydrogen-like atom is:

[​IMG]

Note that aμ, is approximately equal to a0, (the Bohr radius). If the mass of the nucleus is infinite then μ = me, and aμ = a0

[​IMG]

but what is the equation for the energy levels of a helium or helium-like atom? I've heard that heliums spectrum is simply 2 hydrogen spectrums superimposed so it should be quite simple.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as far as I know, you can't solve those system exactly. Only two-body systems can be

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    I'm not asking for a 'solution'. I'm asking what equation fits the empirically observed spectrum.

5. Jan 12, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But that's what a solution is.

6. Jan 12, 2009 #5
    I'm not even going to touch that.

7. Jan 12, 2009 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what ARE you asking for then?
    Are you asking if there is e.g. an interpolating polynomial (or more realistically; an expansion using some other bases; e.g. Lorentzians) that fits the shape of an experimental spectrum?

I doubt such a thing exist; it is of course possible to create but it would need to contain so many terms that it would be useless; it is much easier to look up the data in a table or just run a computer simulation.

8. Jan 16, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In practice, as far as I know, people either look up the energy levels from a table or chart, OR they run computer simulations to calculate them.

For the simulations, you might do a search on Gordon W. F. Drake. He practically made a living from accurate calculations of helium, at least in the 1990's. Three references to his work are given here:

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Handbook/Tables/heliumtable7.htm

EDIT: Understanding Drake's calculations in any detail pretty much requires grad-school level quantum mechanics.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. Jan 16, 2009 #8
    thank you. that was extremely helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?