1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy loss in synchrotron accelerators

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the LEP, we are given that it is a perfectly circular accelerator with circumference 25 km and that the energy of each beam is 50 GeV. Calculate the energy lost in GeV/s by a single electron on each turn.

2. Relevant equations
    The loss is given by (4pi/3)*(e^2)*(gamma^4)/radius, and gamma is the ratio of beam energy to the rest mass of the electron.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, I'm not really sure what to do about that e^2...if we are working in gaussian units, does this equal 1? Secondly, if I simply substitute 50 Gev and .501 MeV/c^2 for energy and mass in gamma, and then take it to the fourth power, I get a huge number that couldn't possibly be the energy loss.

Basically, I'm confused by what this equation is really saying, so any clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    W. =)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    You might find this page useful http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/Particles/synchrotron.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook