In summary, the problem asks to find the largest possible rest mass M0 of a particle produced when a high-energy proton collides with a stationary proton. This can be found by analyzing the interaction in the center-of-mass frame, where both protons have equal but opposite momentum. The rest mass can then be calculated using the equations for conservation of energy and momentum. The maximum rest mass is achieved when both protons are stationary after the collision. The use of 4-vector notation may simplify the calculations.
Sleestak

Homework Statement

Suppose that a certain accelerator can give protons a kinetic energy of 200 GeV. The rest mass of a proton is 0.938 Gev/c^2. Calculate the largest possible rest mass M0 of a particle that could be produced by the impact of one of the high-energy protons on a stationary proton in the following process: p+p --> p+p+x

Homework Equations

Ek = γmc^2
p=γmv
E^2 - (pc)^2=(mc^2)^2
Energy before = energy after
P before = P after

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am almost positive this has to do with conservation of energy and momentum, and that is how I would end up finding the rest mass of the particle, I am just unsure of how I would know when this is at a maximum. My initial thought is that it would be when both the protons after the collision are stationary, but I have no way of proving that.

Energy before = 200 Gev +0.938 + 0.938 = 201.876 GeV
Energy before = γmc^2 = 0.938 GeV / √(1-v^2/c^2)
I solved for v and got 0.999989c, which I can use for momentum, so
P before = (0.938 GeV * 0.999c)/ √(1-(0.999989)^2) = 199.998 GeV/c

After that, I could just find equations for the energy and momentum after, but I want to know first when it would be at a maximum. My professor said it had something to do with the center of mass reference frame, but I'm not sure how that would come into play. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sleestak said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a certain accelerator can give protons a kinetic energy of 200 GeV. The rest mass of a proton is 0.938 Gev/c^2. Calculate the largest possible rest mass M0 of a particle that could be produced by the impact of one of the high-energy protons on a stationary proton in the following process: p+p --> p+p+x

Homework Equations

Ek = γmc^2
p=γmv
E^2 - (pc)^2=(mc^2)^2
Energy before = energy after
P before = P after

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am almost positive this has to do with conservation of energy and momentum, and that is how I would end up finding the rest mass of the particle, I am just unsure of how I would know when this is at a maximum. My initial thought is that it would be when both the protons after the collision are stationary, but I have no way of proving that.
Stationary in what frame? As your professor suggested, analyze the interaction in the center-of-mass frame.

Energy before = 200 Gev +0.938 + 0.938 = 201.876 GeV
Energy before = γmc^2 = 0.938 GeV / √(1-v^2/c^2)
I solved for v and got 0.999989c, which I can use for momentum, so
P before = (0.938 GeV * 0.999c)/ √(1-(0.999989)^2) = 199.998 GeV/c

After that, I could just find equations for the energy and momentum after, but I want to know first when it would be at a maximum. My professor said it had something to do with the center of mass reference frame, but I'm not sure how that would come into play. Help?

What would happen with energy and momentum if both protons were stationary after the collision?

And just to check before making life unnecessarily complicated: Are you familiar with 4-vector notation?

What is the maximum rest mass in particle collision?

The maximum rest mass in particle collision is the highest possible mass that can be produced when two particles collide. This maximum rest mass is determined by the energy of the collision and the particles involved.

Why is the maximum rest mass important in particle collision?

The maximum rest mass is important because it tells us the maximum energy that can be released in a particle collision. This energy is crucial for understanding the fundamental interactions and processes in the universe.

How is the maximum rest mass calculated in particle collision?

The maximum rest mass is calculated using the formula E=mc^2, where E is the energy of the collision, m is the maximum rest mass, and c is the speed of light. This formula was first proposed by Albert Einstein and is a fundamental principle in physics.

What particles have the highest maximum rest mass?

The particles with the highest maximum rest mass are the Higgs boson and the top quark. These particles have the highest mass because they are involved in the Higgs mechanism, which gives mass to other particles.

Can the maximum rest mass be exceeded in particle collision?

No, the maximum rest mass cannot be exceeded in particle collision. This is because of the conservation of energy and momentum, which dictate that the total energy before and after the collision must be equal. Any excess energy would result in the creation of new particles.