Energy losses in cables: What is the ohmic loss?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Suziii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cables Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Suziii
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
having 2 cables of 790 mm^2 cross sectional area and voltage of 450 kV. the maximum power is 700 MW and the length of cables 580 km. Assuming the resistivity of the conductor is 1.67microohmcm. then what is the ohmic lose?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Suziii! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:
 
Thanks a lot.

I tried to find the ohmic power by the following formula: P(ohmic)=R (cable) x I^2 where R is the resistance and I the current.Then I divided the value for P (ohmic) and for P (max). however the problem is that by doing this I am getting higher value for P (ohmic) than for P (max) which should not be the case.
 
Hi Suziii! :smile:

(have an ohm: Ω and a mu: µ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Suziii said:
I tried to find the ohmic power by the following formula: P(ohmic)=R (cable) x I^2 where R is the resistance and I the current.Then I divided the value for P (ohmic) and for P (max). however the problem is that by doing this I am getting higher value for P (ohmic) than for P (max) which should not be the case.

I don't understand … I isn't given in the question :confused:

(did you use V2R instead of V2/R ?)

anyway, please show your actual calculations in future :wink:​