1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy, magnitude of E & B, pressure from a laser

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Ti-sapphire femtosecond laser (1fs= 10^-15s, λ≈0.8μm) has an intensity of 1022 W/cm2
    when focused to a spot of 1μm radius. What is the energy of the laser pulse? What is the peak
    magnetic induction B in Tesla and the electric field in V/m? What is the wave pressure in
    atmospheres?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P = \int I da = \frac{E}{\Delta t}[/tex]
    [tex]E=cB[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've solved the first part
    [tex]P = IA = 10^{22} \frac{W}{cm^2} \pi \left(1 \mu m\right)^2 [/tex]
    [tex] = 3.14 \times 10^{14} W[/tex]
    [tex]E = .314 J [/tex]

But what is the relationship of what was given to either ]E or B? The only equations I can find are sinusoidal with the assumption that [tex]E_0[/tex] or [tex]B_0[/tex] are known to find their values at a particular time. Would I take the pulse with the assumption that B and E = 0 and the beginning and end and the information of the wavelength to find the value it peaks at? Now that I'm thinking of that, I'd still need some sort of E_0 or B_0.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Assuming you have done the first part correct (if the question suggests it, you may need to integrate a gaussian distibution to get the power instead of just using the area of a circle)... anyway, to answer your question. The irrandiance [itex]I[/itex] relates to both the electric field [itex]E[/itex] and the magnetic induction [itex]B[/itex] through its definition as the time averaged Poynting vector:

[tex]
    I \equiv \left\langle S \right\rangle = \frac{c^2\epsilon_0}{2}\left\vert E_0 \times B_0 \right\vert
    [/tex]

So that:
    [tex]
    I = \frac{c}{2\mu_0}B_0^2
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    I = \frac{1}{2}c\epsilon_0 E_0^2
    [/tex]

The "average" radiation pressure is given by the energy density of the wave (note the units energy/volume and force/area are the same)

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E_0^2[/tex] (this will give answer in Pascals though using previous units)

Hope this helps...

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    That does help immensely thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook