Distance Traveled by a Laser Pointer in Outer Space

In summary, the laser pointer will achieve a final speed of 2.5 m/s in space with respect to an observer.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

A 50 g, 420 mw laser pointer is floating in outer space (don’t ask how it got there) at rest with respect to an observer. The laser pointer is turned on and let go. If the battery runs continuously for 250 hours before dying, what is the final speed achieved by the laser pointer with respect to the observer?

Homework Equations

P=W/t (Power)
Ek=pc
W=Ek (conservation of energy)
n=v/c
p=mv(momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is in space, I can say that n=1 so v=c(it is essentially in vacuum). From this I can derive that
W=Ek
from the conservation of energy law. Knowing this I can replace
P=Ek/t.

This is where I assume the question is non-relativistic which I am not sure if I can. Let's say I do make the assumption. I can then get

Pt= Ek = pc
Pt = pc = mvc
v = Pt/mc
v = (420 * 10-3 W) * (900,000 s)/(0.05 kg)(3.00 * 108 m/s)
= 2.52 m/s

I am pretty sure I can not say Pt = pc since pc is the energy for light and Pt is referring to the laser pointer itself but I am not sure what else to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2.5 m/s seems pretty non-relativistic to me.

You have only treated non-relativistic objects non-relativistically. The light, as you say, must have E/c as its momentum and the momentum of the pointer must be of equal magnitude and opposite direction.

Ah okay so if use momentum to find the velocity then I would get

p=mv = E/c

but I'm not sure where to go from here since I don't know E or v
So I'm going to try using conservation of energy

P*t=W = Ek = 0.5mv2
v=[2P*t/m]1/2
v = 3888 m/s

This answer is very different than 2.5 m/s however I think this is more correct than 2.5 m/s

jasonchiang97 said:
So I'm going to try using conservation of energy
You are not using it correctly. In fact, only a minor part of the energy will be carried by the laser pointer. Most of the energy is carried away by the emitted light.

jasonchiang97 said:
This answer is very different than 2.5 m/s however I think this is more correct than 2.5 m/s
Why would you think so?

Likes BvU
Orodruin said:
You are not using it correctly. In fact, only a minor part of the energy will be carried by the laser pointer. Most of the energy is carried away by the emitted light.

If I want to find the energy carried away by the emitted light would I have to find the number of photons that were emitted over 250 hours?

Why would you think so?

Because I am certain that in my original post my statement

Pt= Ek = pc

makes no sense as I am relating the energy of a photon to the total energy of the pointer.

jasonchiang97 said:
Because I am certain that in my original post my statement

Pt= Ek = pc

makes no sense as I am relating the energy of a photon to the total energy of the pointer.
This is not true. You are relating the light momentum to the light energy and then relating it to the light momentum. Nowhere did you involve the pointer kinetic energy.

I see. Then would it be correct in saying that

P:t/c = p <--photon
mv=p <--- pointer
therefore
P*t/c = mv
v = P*t/m*c

Yes, as long as ##v \ll c##, this is a good approximation.

I see. Thanks!

1. How far can a laser pointer travel in outer space?

The distance a laser pointer can travel in outer space is technically infinite. However, the strength of the laser beam will weaken as it travels a longer distance due to the spreading of the beam and absorption by particles in space.

2. Can a laser pointer be seen in outer space?

Yes, a laser pointer can be seen in outer space. The beam of light from the laser will travel until it hits an object or is absorbed by particles in space. It can be seen by astronauts or satellites if pointed directly at them.

3. How fast does a laser pointer travel in outer space?

A laser pointer travels at the speed of light in outer space, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the maximum speed that any object can travel in the universe.

4. What affects the distance a laser pointer can travel in outer space?

The distance a laser pointer can travel in outer space is affected by the strength of the laser, the clarity of the atmosphere, and any objects or particles that may obstruct its path. The longer the distance, the more the beam will spread and the weaker it will become.

5. Can a laser pointer reach other planets in outer space?

It is possible for a laser pointer to reach other planets in outer space, but it would require an extremely powerful laser and a clear path with no obstructions. The distance between planets is vast, so the beam would also need to be extremely focused to reach its destination.