Energy needed to jump one meter

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the formula for kinetic energy and its application in jumping. The participants also discuss the difference between jumping with an initial velocity of 1 m/s and jumping straight up 1 m, and the concept of gravitational potential energy and conservation of energy. They also provide resources for further learning and suggest posting the question in the schoolwork forums. The conversation concludes with a clarification about the participant's knowledge and familiarity with relevant equations.
EraXon
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

So I know the formula of kinetic energy (mv^2 divided by 2). And I have a mass of 50 kg and a speed of 1 m/s will that mean I online need 25 Joules to make that jump?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EraXon said:
So I know the formula of kinetic energy (mv^2 divided by 2). And I have a mass of 50 kg and a [initial] speed of 1 m/s will that mean I online need 25 Joules to make that jump?
Yes, but your title says energy to jump one meter, which would be a different problem.

I don't get it isn't that the energy needed ?

EraXon said:
I don't get it isn't that the energy needed ?
You wrote jump one meter instead of one meter per second, which made your question unclear.

"Jump one metre" is very vague. What are you actually trying to do, @EraXon? Jump to a height of 1m? Or jump across a 1m gap? Or something else?

Jump straight up 1m with a speed of 1m/s

EraXon said:
Jump straight up 1m with a speed of 1m/s
What makes you think you're going to jump up 1 meter if your initial speed is 1 meter per second? You're trying to do two different problems at the same time.

Don't know.I'm just trying to repeat stuff for high school .

EraXon said:
So there are two different problems. One was to find the energy required jump with an initial velocity of one meter per second. You found the solution for that.

The other problem is to find the energy to jump straight up to a max height of one meter (assuming the mass is 50 kg). For that you need the acceleration due to gravity. That allows you to find the gravitational potential energy.

Yeah I know about it potential energy (mgh) but that is way bigger then the kinetic one. That's what I don't get.

EraXon said:
Yeah I know about it potential energy (mgh) but that is way bigger then the kinetic one. That's what I don't get.
If you do two different problems, there's a good chance the solution to those problems are going to be different. Jumping straight up one meter requires a lot more energy than jumping with an initial velocity of one meter per second.

You should really post this kind of question in the homework forums. I'll ask for it to be moved.

Do you know the formula for gravitational potential energy? Do you know what conservation of energy is?

Ask yourself a question: if you want to throw a ball so that it goes up 1m, what do you do? What do you do differently if you want it to go up 2m? 10m?

Likes person123
EraXon said:
Could you please clarify this? You are about to go into high school, and are trying to start doing high school physics problems? Or you are out of high school, and going back through old problems to try to learn high school physics?

berkeman said:
Could you please clarify this? You are about to go into high school, and are trying to start doing high school physics problems? Or you are out of high school, and going back through old problems to try to learn high school physics?
Going to high school from September it's my first high school year and I never truly understood this things. Saw this site and decided to give it a try.

Ibix said:
You should really post this kind of question in the homework forums. I'll ask for it to be moved.

Do you know the formula for gravitational potential energy? Do you know what conservation of energy is?

Ask yourself a question: if you want to throw a ball so that it goes up 1m, what do you do? What do you do differently if you want it to go up 2m? 10m?
The formula is mass*gravitation acceleration * height. Conservation of energy means that energy tends to conserve itself by transforming in different types:letting a ball go that is higher than the ground it's going to transform its potential energy into kinetic energy. I think

EraXon said:
Going to high school from September it's my first high school year and I never truly understood this things. Saw this site and decided to give it a try.
Thanks, that helps to add context to your questions.

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the schoolwork forums now. That's the best place to ask schoolwork-type questions, and when you start a new thread there, you are provided with a Template that asks for the Problem Statement, the Relevant Equations, and your Attempt at a Solution. In your future threads, use that Template to help you organize your question, and to show others what you know about the equations and how you start the problem.

For now, it may help you to browse a bit through the Hyperphysics website, to see more about the equations you can use for this type of problem:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

(and click on the Mechanics bubble).

It sounds like you are a little familiar with the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy:

[tex]PE = m g h[/tex]
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m v^2[/tex]

How about F = m a ? Are you familiar with how that enters into your question?

berkeman said:
Thanks, that helps to add context to your questions.

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the schoolwork forums now. That's the best place to ask schoolwork-type questions, and when you start a new thread there, you are provided with a Template that asks for the Problem Statement, the Relevant Equations, and your Attempt at a Solution. In your future threads, use that Template to help you organize your question, and to show others what you know about the equations and how you start the problem.

For now, it may help you to browse a bit through the Hyperphysics website, to see more about the equations you can use for this type of problem:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

(and click on the Mechanics bubble).

It sounds like you are a little familiar with the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy:

[tex]PE = m g h[/tex]
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m v^2[/tex]

How about F = m a ? Are you familiar with how that enters into your question?
Yeah through the L=F×d

EraXon said:
Yeah through the L=F×d
I do not see how that is an answer to berkeman's question. In fact, I'm not sure what your L is there.
F I take to be force, and d distance. Force times distance turns up in two standard equations but meaning quite different things.
If the force and the distance are in the same direction then their product can be the work done by the force as it advances that distance.
If the force and distance are at right angles then their product is the torque exerted by the force about an axis that far from its line of action. Your use of L suggests to me you are thinking of torque, not work.

F.d as work done does relate to PE = mgh. If a mass m is raised height h against the gravitational force mg then the work done is mgh.
If you want to know the take-off speed for a jump that reaches height h then you would write initial KE = gain in PE, i.e. ½mv2=mgh.

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy needed to jump one meter?

The formula for calculating the energy needed to jump one meter is E = mgh, where E is energy, m is mass, g is the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the jump.

2. How much energy does the average person need to jump one meter?

The amount of energy needed to jump one meter varies depending on the person's mass and jumping technique. However, on average, a person needs about 250-400 Joules of energy to jump one meter.

3. Can the energy needed to jump one meter be decreased?

Yes, the energy needed to jump one meter can be decreased by increasing the efficiency of the jump. This can be achieved through proper training and technique, as well as having a higher muscle mass-to-body weight ratio.

4. How does the surface affect the energy needed to jump one meter?

The surface does not have a significant effect on the energy needed to jump one meter. However, softer surfaces may absorb some of the energy, making the jump feel easier, while harder surfaces may require more energy to push off of.

5. Is the energy needed to jump one meter the same for everyone?

No, the energy needed to jump one meter can vary greatly depending on factors such as age, fitness level, and muscle mass. Additionally, different jumping techniques and styles can also affect the amount of energy needed.