Energy of a free-falling, pivoting thin rod

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oijl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Rod
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Oijl
Messages
102
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The thin uniform rod in Figure 10-59 has length 4.0 m and can pivot about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. It is released from rest at angle θ = 40° above the horizontal. Use the principle of conservation of energy to determine the angular speed of the rod as it passes through the horizontal position.


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I don't really know.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There will be two kinds of kinetic energy you'll have to find and add together: rotational and translational. Recall your basic equations of linear and rotational motion.
 
I'm sorry, but the the problem is that the fact that it's pivoting causes me hesitation with the linear equations of motion. Could you (or someone) be more specific as to how I should apply these equations?