Rotational Motion of a thin rod about a pivot

In summary, the angular velocity needed for the rod to achieve a vertical position at the top of its swing can be found using the conservation of energy and the parallel-axis theorem, and it is equal to the angular velocity when the rod reaches its vertical position from its initial horizontal position.
WWCY

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of Length L and mass M is pivoted at one end is held horizontally and then released from rest. Assuming the pivot to be frictionless, find

a) Angular velocity of the rod when it reaches its vertical position
b) The force exerted by the pivot at this time
c) Now we want to swing the rod 270° clockwise so that it will reach a vertical position at the top of its swing. What initial angular velocity is needed for the rod to achieve that?

Homework Equations

Part a)
Parallel-axis theorem
Conservation of Energy

Part b)
∑Fcm = mω2r

Part c)
Conservation of Energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no issues with parts A and B but only with C.

My initial concept for C was to use the principle of COE
Ugrav, 1 + Krotational, 1 = Ugrav, 2
but this was wrong.

May I know what my concept for part c should be and why I was wrong in the first place?

P.s. Apologies if this post was not well done, it's my first post and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
Part c)
Conservation of Ene
Ugrav, 1 + Krotational, 1 = Ugrav, 2
but this was wrong.

Why do you think it is wrong ?

Please show your calculations and result you obtained .

Having answered a, there is a very quick route to c.

Damn, apologies everyone, my initial assumptions were right. I got confused because of some grading error. Sorry for taking up your time!

In any case it was:

Ugrav1 + K rot 1 = Ugrav2
1/2Iω2 + mgL = mg(3/2)L
ω=(mgL/I)1/2
where I = 1/3mL2 with parallel axis theorem, which leads to:
ω = (3g/L)1/2 rads/s

WWCY said:
Damn, apologies everyone, my initial assumptions were right. I got confused because of some grading error. Sorry for taking up your time!

In any case it was:

Ugrav1 + K rot 1 = Ugrav2
1/2Iω2 + mgL = mg(3/2)L
ω=(mgL/I)1/2
where I = 1/3mL2 with parallel axis theorem, which leads to:
ω = (3g/L)1/2 rads/s
Right... and do you see the connection with the answer to a?

haruspex said:
Right... and do you see the connection with the answer to a?

Apart from them being the same, I can't. Could you enlighten me?

WWCY said:
Apart from them being the same, I can't. Could you enlighten me?
In both cases the potential difference relates to a rotation from horizontal to vertical, and in both cases it is stationary at one end of the motion, so the speeds at the other end must be the same.

Likes conscience and WWCY
haruspex said:
In both cases the potential difference relates to a rotation from horizontal to vertical, and in both cases it is stationary at one end of the motion, so the speeds at the other end must be the same.

I never thought of it this way before, thank you for the insight.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or fixed point. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and pendulums.

2. How is rotational motion of a thin rod about a pivot different from other types of rotational motion?

Rotational motion of a thin rod about a pivot involves the rotation of a long, slender object around a point or axis. This is different from other types of rotational motion, such as spinning or rolling, which involve the rotation of a solid object around its own axis.

3. What is a pivot in rotational motion?

A pivot is a fixed point or axis around which an object rotates. In the case of rotational motion of a thin rod, the pivot is typically located at one end of the rod.

4. How does the length of the thin rod affect its rotational motion about a pivot?

The length of the thin rod does not affect its rotational motion about a pivot. As long as the pivot point remains fixed, the rotational motion will be the same regardless of the length of the rod.

5. What factors affect the speed of rotational motion of a thin rod about a pivot?

The speed of rotational motion of a thin rod about a pivot is affected by the length of the rod, the distance from the pivot to the center of mass of the rod, and the amount of force applied to the rod. The shape and mass distribution of the rod can also play a role in determining the speed of rotational motion.