Energy of a proton around a magnetic field

In summary, we can calculate the energy of a proton moving in a circular path perpendicular to a 4.30 T magnetic field by using the equation KE=1/2mv^2, with the proton's mass and velocity calculated using m=rqB/v. The answer can be converted to electron-volts by multiplying by 1eV/1.6X10^-19J.
kitkat2950
A proton moves in a circular path perpendicular to a 4.30 T. magnetic field. The radius of its path is 7.5 cm. Calculate the energy of the proton in electron-volts.

I'm not sure which equation to use. I tried using m=rqB/v and found the velocity. However, I'm not sure how to relate that to energy. Mass of proton equals 1.67E-27. Q of proton = 1.6E-19. 1eV=1.6E-19 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,
kitkat2950 said:
A proton moves in a circular path perpendicular to a 4.30 T. magnetic field. The radius of its path is 7.5 cm. Calculate the energy of the proton in electron-volts.

I'm not sure which equation to use. I tried using m=rqB/v and found the velocity. However, I'm not sure how to relate that to energy. Mass of proton equals 1.67E-27. Q of proton = 1.6E-19. 1eV=1.6E-19 J.
What type of energy would you say the proton possesses?

Thank you, I love House by the way. I would say it has kinetic energy. SO would I use KE=1/2mv^2? But then I always get confused on what work equals, because I think I need to find work to solve the equation. I think W=KE+PE, and I don't think there is any Pe. Would the work just equal the kinetic energy? Nothing I submit seems to be right.

kitkat2950 said:
Thank you, I love House by the way.
I can't wait for the next season :biggrin:
kitkat2950 said:
I would say it has kinetic energy. SO would I use KE=1/2mv^2?
Correct! Assuming of course that the proton is non-relativistic.
kitkat2950 said:
But then I always get confused on what work equals, because I think I need to find work to solve the equation. I think W=KE+PE, and I don't think there is any Pe. Would the work just equal the kinetic energy? Nothing I submit seems to be right.
Correct again, there is no potential energy and hence the total energy of the proton is simply it's kinetic energy.

So velocity is v=.075m X 1.6X10^-19C X 4.30T / 1.67X10^-27. Which equals 3.09X10^7. I then used KE=.5 X 1.6X10^-19 X (3.09X10^7)^2 and came up with 7.637X10^-5J. I multiplied that by 1eV/1.6X10^-19J and got 4.77X10^14. But it was still wrong. Any other suggestions?

kitkat2950 said:
So velocity is v=.075m X 1.6X10^-19C X 4.30T / 1.67X10^-27. Which equals 3.09X10^7. I then used KE=.5 X 1.6X10^-19 X (3.09X10^7)^2 and came up with 7.637X10^-5J. I multiplied that by 1eV/1.6X10^-19J and got 4.77X10^14. But it was still wrong. Any other suggestions?
Why have you multiplied by the charge here, instead of the mass? The blue section is also incorrect and is unnecessary if you simply use the mass.

Oh thank you. I knew it had to be something stupid. It was right!

kitkat2950 said:
Oh thank you. I knew it had to be something stupid. It was right!
A pleasure.

Last edited:

What is the energy of a proton in a magnetic field?

The energy of a proton in a magnetic field is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the proton. It can be calculated using the equation E = qVB, where q is the charge of the proton, V is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

How does a magnetic field affect the energy of a proton?

A magnetic field can cause a proton to change direction, which in turn can affect its kinetic energy. This change in direction can also result in the proton emitting electromagnetic radiation as it moves through the magnetic field.

Can a proton's energy be changed by varying the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the energy of a proton can be changed by varying the strength of the magnetic field. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the energy of the proton also increases.

What is the relationship between the energy of a proton and its magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment of a proton is a measure of its magnetic strength and is directly related to its energy in a magnetic field. The higher the energy of a proton, the higher its magnetic moment will be.

How is the energy of a proton affected by the direction of a magnetic field?

The energy of a proton is affected by the direction of a magnetic field in that it can change the direction of the proton's motion and alter its energy. This is why the strength and direction of a magnetic field are important factors in determining the energy of a proton.