1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of an uniformly charged bar of length L

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    Hi All

I would like to know why is it so difficult to calculate by integration the electric potential energy of an uniformily charged bar of length L and total charge Q. I have tried hard, thinking it would be as easy as the case of a uniformly charged sphere but my efforts failed.

Why these two systems are so different ?

Best Regards

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Because there is less symmetry in the bar case than in the sphere case.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Ok with respect to the simmetry, but how this argument relates to divergence in the computation of the energy's integral?

Thanks,

DaTario

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

The radius of your line charge is zero. This means an infinite E field at the wire.
    The energy calculation is infinite because of this. The energy of a point charge is also infinite. You need finite fields to get finite energies.

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5
    ok. good.

thanks

DaTario

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6
    Let me just provoke a little further. If my bar (or rod) of length L were a cylinder surface uniformly charged, then no infinite would appear in the energy calculation. Is it?

best regards,

DaTario

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7

clem

Science Advisor

That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook