Energy of homogenously charged sphere

In summary, the energy in an electric field is E=Q²/(8*epsilon_0*pi*r), where epsilon_0 is the charge of the field. For a homogenously charged sphere, the energy is E=3/5*Q^2/(epsilon_0*pi*r).
Gavroy
hi

i know that the energy of a conducting charged sphere is E=Q²/(8epsilon_0*pi*r) and i know how to calculate this.

now i found that a homogenously charged sphere has E=3/5*Q^2/(epsilon_0*pi*r).

does anybody have an idea how to calculate this? i don't know where this 3/5 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have there is the energy in the electrostatic field of the sphere. This one you need first. You get it from the corresponding Maxwell equations for static fields,

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=0.[/tex]

[The above is corrected for typos according to #3; thanks for pointing them out!]

From the second equation you see that the electrostatic field is a potential field, i.e.,

[tex]\vec{E}=-\vec \nabla \Phi.[/tex]

Substituting this into the 2nd equation yields\

[tex]\Delta \Phi=-\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}.[/tex]

Now you have

[tex]\rho(\vec{x})=\begin{cases} \rho_0=\frac{3Q}{4 \pi R^3} & \text{for} \quad r=|\vec{x}<R|\\ 0 & \text{for} \quad r \geq R. \end{cases}.[/tex]

Due to symmetry, [itex]\Phi[/itex] depends only on [itex]r[/itex] and thus writing the Laplacian in spherical coordinates for [itex]r<R[/itex] leads to

[tex]
\frac{1}{r} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} r^2} [r \Phi(r)]=-\rho_0.
[/tex]

From this you get

[tex]\epsilon_0 [r \Phi(r)]''=-\rho_0 r \; \Rightarrow \; \epsilon_0 [r \Phi(r)]'=-\frac{\rho_0}{2} r^2+C_1 \; \Rightarrow \; \Phi(r)=-\frac{\rho_0}{6 \epsilon_0} r^2+C_1+\frac{C_2}{r}.[/tex]

Since for [itex]r=0[/itex] the potential should be regular, we must have [itex]C_2=0[/itex].

For [itex]r>R[/itex] the same calculation leads to

[tex]\Phi(r)=\frac{C_3}{r},[/tex]

where we have determined one constant such that [itex]\Phi(r) \rightarrow 0[/itex] for [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. The constant, [itex]C_3[/itex], is determined by Gauss's Law to be [itex]C_3=Q/(4 \pi \epsilon_0)[/itex].

Continuity at [itex]r=R[/itex] leads to

[tex]-\frac{Q}{8 \pi \epsilon_0 R}+C_2=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 R}[/tex]

i.e.

[tex]C_2=\frac{3 Q}{8 \pi \epsilon_0 R}.[/tex]

For the total energy of the electric field you find

[tex]\mathcal{E}=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \vec{E}^2(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R^3}} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x}) \Phi(\vec{x}).[/tex]

This gives from our above result

[tex]\mathcal{E}=2 \pi \rho_0 \int_0^R \mathrm{d} r \Phi(r) \; r^2 =\frac{3Q^2}{20 \pi \epsilon_0 r}.[/tex]

In your solution, obviously a factor of [itex]4 \pi[/itex] is missing.

Last edited:
Um ... I always thought:
[tex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex][tex]\nabla^2 \varphi = -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]... for the potential formulation.

The approach is basically correct though.
Compare:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesph.html

Sure, that were typos in the 1st and 3rd equation (I hate the SI because of this damn [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex]...). The rest is fine. I'll correct it also in the original posting.

No worries - there is a thread in PF someplace about the why's and why-nots of that [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] but if you trained in SI the pain is the other way around.

At first I thought maybe the typo would affect the calculation but I was the epsilon vanished at the spherical coordinates but was recovered in the correct place on the next line. I was concerned this may puzzle someone.

I think we need to hear from Gavroy about the source of his equation.

you are totally correct, i accidentally lost 4 in the denominator. thank you for your help!

1. What is the energy of a homogenously charged sphere?

The energy of a homogenously charged sphere is the amount of potential energy stored within the sphere due to its electric charge. It is calculated by multiplying the charge of the sphere, the electric potential at its surface, and the sphere's surface area.

2. How is the energy of a homogenously charged sphere related to its electric field?

The energy of a homogenously charged sphere is directly proportional to its electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, so does the energy of the sphere. The relationship between the two is given by the formula U = (Q^2)/(8πεR), where U is the energy, Q is the charge, ε is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of the energy of a homogenously charged sphere?

The energy of a homogenously charged sphere is important because it represents the amount of work that would be needed to assemble the sphere from individual point charges. It also plays a role in the stability and equilibrium of the sphere in an electric field.

4. Can the energy of a homogenously charged sphere be negative?

No, the energy of a homogenously charged sphere cannot be negative. This is because the formula for calculating the energy (U = (Q^2)/(8πεR)) only takes into account positive values for the charge and radius. Negative values would not make physical sense in this context.

5. How does the energy of a homogenously charged sphere change with distance from the center?

The energy of a homogenously charged sphere is inversely proportional to the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the energy decreases. This relationship is also represented in the formula for energy (U = (Q^2)/(8πεR)), where R is the radius of the sphere.