Energy of water flowing down from a tank

In summary, in a conversation about using a garden hose to water a garden, it was observed that partially closing the tip of the hose can increase the velocity of the water and make it reach farther. The question of conservation of energy was then raised, with the scenario of draining a water tank through the garden hose at different velocities. The conclusion was that the initial stored energy was the same in both cases, but due to friction, the second case resulted in more kinetic energy at the tip of the hose. Therefore, the extra energy did not come from anywhere, it was simply lost due to friction.
chennaivishnu
Hi,
I have a garden which I water with the help of a garden hose, which drains water stored in a overhead tank (water tank at a certain height). Here is what I observe - when I partially close the tip of my gardern hose, the velocity of the water increases and hence the water reaches farther.

Now, here is my question on conservation of energy:

Suppose I fill the tank with 'm' kg of water and then I drain the entire tank once, with the hose normally held. And suppose V1 m/s was the average velocity of the water flowing out of the hose into the garden.
Then, I fill the tank again with 'm' kg of water and again drain it completely through the garden hose. But this time, I partially close the tip of the garden hose. So, this time, the velocity will be higher - say this time it is (V1 + v) m/s.

In the first case, the total kinetic energy of water at the tip of the hose will be 0.5mV1^2. In the second case, the total kinetic energy of water at the tip of the hose will be 0.5m(V1+v)^2, which is higer than the first one. But, in both the cases, the intial stored energy was the same and it was this stored energy that gave the kinetic energy at the tip of the hose. So, how come there is more KE in the second case? Where does the extra energy come from?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

It's not about where the energy came from, it's where the energy went. In the case of the wide-open valve, most of the pressure energy that was available is lost due to friction inside the piping.

What is the energy of water flowing down from a tank?

The energy of water flowing down from a tank is known as potential energy. This energy is stored in the water due to its position or height above the ground.

How is the energy of water flowing down from a tank calculated?

The energy of water flowing down from a tank can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water above the ground.

How does the energy of water flowing down from a tank affect the surrounding environment?

The energy of water flowing down from a tank can have various impacts on the surrounding environment. It can be used to generate electricity through hydropower, provide water for irrigation, and contribute to erosion and sedimentation in rivers and streams.

What factors can affect the energy of water flowing down from a tank?

The energy of water flowing down from a tank can be affected by several factors such as the height of the tank, the volume and speed of water flow, and the efficiency of the system used to harness the energy.

How can the energy of water flowing down from a tank be harnessed for practical use?

The energy of water flowing down from a tank can be harnessed through the use of turbines, which convert the potential energy into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy can then be used to power generators and produce electricity for various purposes.