1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy quantization of oscillator

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A simple pendulum has a length equal to 0.6 m and has a bob that has a mass equal to 0.5 kg. The energy of this oscillator is quantized, and the allowed values of energy are given by En = (n + 1/2)hf0, where n is an integer and f0 is the frequency of the pendulum. Find n if the angular amplitude is 1.0°.

2. Relevant equations

En = (n + 1/2)hf0
    f0=w(omega)/(2pi)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck at the beginning of finding out the total energy of the pendulum. I think I might have to use the equation U(x)=(1/2)m(w0)^2x^2 to find the energy but I get stuck with unknown values. My biggest question is what does the angular amplitude of 1 degree get used for. I don't think it can just be plugged into the equation as is for an amplitude. Any help on how to approach the problem would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Express the potential energy in terms of θ then expand it for small values of θ. The total energy of the oscillator is the potential energy at maximum displacement. That's where the 1 degree comes in.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    Okay, so I'm using the equation U=(1/2)lw^2(theta)^2. I found this equation and I think the l in it stands for the length of the pendulum. So after doing the calculations I get the potential energy to be .0855 but my units are confusing me. Should theta be in radians or degrees and is this in fact what l stands for?

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, on both accounts. The angle must be expressed in radians and l is the length of the pendulum in meters. With these units, the energy should come out in Joules.

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5
    When I do the calculations, I get U=.00149 m/s^2. I do not know why I am missing units.

7. Sep 27, 2009 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show me the numbers you put in and your answer. The correct expression is

U = mglθ2/2.

8. Sep 27, 2009 #7
    I'm confused where you got mgl from, but using your formula I was able to get the correct answer

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  9. Sep 27, 2009 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Derive (or look up) the potential energy for a pendulum referenced to the lowest point of the motion (equilibrium position) in terms of the angle θ. Then use the small angle approximation for the cosine

[tex]cos\theta\approx1-\frac{\theta^{2}}{2}.[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook